Recommend a Car

This year I bought a used Kia Sportage - 2021 so it’s the end of the old model. They’re a well built car and having the 7 year warranty means you can buy one that is a couple of years old and still have a few years left.
It’s not particularly exciting to drive - it’s very low geared which means for urban driving there’s a lot of gear changes. The interior is very roomy and would suit a family and the boot space is more than adequate. The infotainment system lets it down a little - it sounds good but the user interface is poor. Sat Nav is good and is free and easy to upgrade with a usb stick and you’ve got Apple play.
The car is pretty thirsty on petrol. My mileage is low so it doesn’t affect me too much.
Overall I would definitely recommend

Had the 1275GT which I loved, did a few mods myself but unfortunately the sills and subframe had more rust than the Titanic so it went to the scrapper. They're worth a mint now, isn't life a bummer!
Mine was an 1100cc short stroke, which I bored out to 1158, and fitted a 1275 head and Stage 2 cam, with vernier timing gear. Spent about a week porting and polishing the head, and then another week getting the twin 1 1/4" SU's sorted. I eventually fitted a single W40DCOE in an airbox that protruded through the dashboard. Had to fit double valve springs after I lightened the flywheel. Had a 5/7 final drive, and did 0-60 in around 6.2 seconds, but topped out at around 65mph. Absolutely rapid off the mark, and I used to love leaving XR2/XR3's for dead at traffic lights.

Mine was an 1100cc short stroke, which I bored out to 1158, and fitted a 1275 head and Stage 2 cam, with vernier timing gear. Spent about a week porting and polishing the head, and then another week getting the twin 1 1/4" SU's sorted. I eventually fitted a single W40DCOE in an airbox that protruded through the dashboard. Had to fit double valve springs after I lightened the flywheel. Had a 5/7 final drive, and did 0-60 in around 6.2 seconds, but topped out at around 65mph. Absolutely rapid off the mark, and I used to love leaving XR2/XR3's for dead at traffic lights.
What a spec!

After a day of reading around, I've whittled it down to the following potential cars. i'd be interested in hearing your view on any of these. I need good boot space, and I like to be able to accelerate with confidence. I guess reliability is quite important, although I am likely to lease for three years so it's probably not a big factor. Cheers.

Skoda Karoq

Kia Sportage

Seat Ateca

Volvo XC40

Cupra Formentor

Ford Puma

Volkswagen T-Roc

Ford Puma was my suggestion so I'm going to advocate for that one again. Or rather I'm going to point you in the direction of the Top Gear review. Whether you like the programme or not I think this does cover your points. Although you can probably ignore the bit where he turns it into a rally car at the end....

Many moons ago a work colleague said to me why buy a new Ford Mondeo when you can buy a second hand S class for the same money. I’ve never owned one but did buy an Audi A8L and it was the mutts knackers with every gadget going had air suspension as well which was fantastic. Absolute rocket of a car as well - might have got a Ford RS to move out of my way after he was giving it some beans on a private road - and I bet I paid far less than he had for his RS.

Worst thing was people would hit it in car parks all the time.

As you say the bills weren’t ever going to be cheap if it went wrong but it meant you can pick them up for a fraction of their new costs as no one wants them when they out of warranty. And it was very reliable.
I'm with you mate, just transfer the word Audi for Mercedes, same same

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.