Recycling police

I want to know who's going to recycle all these big plastic bins that we've all got? Come the Armageddon, the cockroaches will make them in to bin cities. Them and the rats.

We have a 3 tier stacking system for the recyclables but the bottom one fills up with water and the bin men wont empty it. She who must be obeyed made a call to the council and a decent bloke came round about 2 hrs later and rather sheepishly and rather diplomatically ' suggested ' that I drill a load of holes in the bottom of it as they weren't done at the factory......

Stick it on the list.

My local tips have the usual range of hoppers for green waste, glass, metals, electricals, paper, rubble, blah, blah. But plastics go in the general hopper along with sundry unsorted household waste. Work that one out.

I assume it goes through a subsequent separation process but why not do that at source?

Fly tipping down country lanes is also a major problem. A lot of it is builder’s debris from small jobs. Presumably it’s partly due to restrictions/costs imposed on tradespeople. Maybe the economics stack up but it’s fcukin horrible on the environment.

Last edited:
We have a very simple recycling system, a 240l wheelie bin collected every fortnight which will take most plastic containers, paper, cardboard, cans cards and bottles. We also have a weekly food waste collection and a fortnightly landfill collection, and an optional garden waste bin for an additional annual fee. There is a plant nearby that sorts and takes any incorrect material which goes to the adjacent landfill site. Trouble is there are so many thick people who bag everything in non-recyclable bin bags. The plastic bags we do use go to Tesco who have a bin for such bags, and I believe to are recycled to make their own brand cheese slices.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.