Ref Watch City Games - 2023/24

On the Stones injury - due to the fact that he was injured making a challenge he didn't need to make - This won't go down well but if the players are telling the linesman to have the courage of his conviction and flag for an obvious offside then the City defender should also have the courage to know it was offside and not make the tackle.

Having read the comments on here before I’d seen any replays, I’d assumed he was a good yard or more offside. Having just seen it for the first time, it’s a close one.

The linesman did absolutely the right thing. He thought it was offside but couldn’t possibly have been certain. So delayed flag was the right thing to do.

And the day a player assumes a delayed flag is coming and allows a player a free shot on goal, will probably be his last game, if he got that wrong.

Have you got a reliable source for that? Not sure how anyone would know, but most sites put it at about £1.5m, which would be fairly low considering he was supposed to be on £500k tax free in Saudi and PL/UEFA referees here are pretty well paid compared to the average salary.
First site that came up on a Google search

Last edited:
I do understand your point of view but, querying the IQ of a player who would deliberately give away a penalty can be challenged. I cannot remember the player involved or even the match however, said player who was on the goal-line clearly punched the ball away. A penalty was awarded and the player was sent off. Going down the tunnel, the offending player stopped, turned, and watch as the penalty was missed.
IMHO if a player saves a shot like a GK then it should be awarded as a penalty goal It very rarely happens though
Critical end of season game as a player you would save a shot if it meant something significant Imagine a QPR player saving Kun’s 93:20 shot then City missing the pen

Having read the comments on here before I’d seen any replays, I’d assumed he was a good yard or more offside. Having just seen it for the first time, it’s a close one.

The linesman did absolutely the right thing. He thought it was offside but couldn’t possibly have been certain. So delayed flag was the right thing to do.

And the day a player assumes a delayed flag is coming and allows a player a free shot on goal, will probably be his last game, if he got that wrong.
I completely agree. I really don't understand the moral panic about players potentially getting injured.

Injuries can happen at any time, and someone goes off injured almost every time a game is played. If we're so concerned then cracking down on bad tackles would make much more of a difference.

Goals are the most important aspect of any football game, and offsides within a foot or so, are given incorrectly on a regular basis. It's one of the best aspects of VAR that we don't get players through on goal being pulled back for close and incorrect offsides any more. To have multiple goals ruled out across the Premier League each season because there's the possibility that someone might get injured is crazy.

First site that came up on a Google search

Keep scrolling. Suspiciously there's a Canadian film director with the same name and net worth.

There's also a site claiming the ref version's net worth is £73m and others saying £1.5m. so basically, none of them know and are just click bait sites.

https://www.celebritynetworth.com/richest-celebrities/directors/mike-clattenburg-net-worth/

Re that penalty last night; in my opinion, that sort of incident shouldn't (not "wasn't") be a penalty, as I'm pretty sure (though only the defender will know for definite) it wasn't intentional. However; under the current laws re making your silhouette bigger, it is a penalty. The decision was correct in law. If you want to debate whether the law is correct, I wouldn't be unsympathetic to that view. And I'm pretty sure, without anything springing to mind, that we've been on the other end of such a call. We move on.
I think that it would and should have been a penalty under the old handball law, whereby the defender’s arm was in a position where he was seeking to gain an advantage by blocking the shot. It was certainly a penalty under the current interpretation. Harsh, but after the Micah abomination at Anfield in the League Cup years ago, I’m taking them all!!

Re that penalty last night; in my opinion, that sort of incident shouldn't (not "wasn't") be a penalty, as I'm pretty sure (though only the defender will know for definite) it wasn't intentional. However; under the current laws re making your silhouette bigger, it is a penalty. The decision was correct in law. If you want to debate whether the law is correct, I wouldn't be unsympathetic to that view. And I'm pretty sure, without anything springing to mind, that we've been on the other end of such a call. We move on.

Ask yourself this question..

If it was a City player who had blocked the shot would there have been the inquest we have been subjected to ?

Not a chance, penalty given, defender booked and Everton lauded as the second coming..

It's a joke that nearly every goal we score or game affecting decision we get is micro analysed and our opponents are then seen to be hard done by if such decision goes our way..

Then again, the silence in the media was deafening when it came to..

Dippers and Palace at home, goals chalked off..

Wolves away, winning goal scorer shouldn't have been on the pitch..

Luton player should have been sent off for nearly breaking Phil's leg..

Spurs at home, Jack pulled back by the ref when clean through on goal..

It was a nailed on penalty at Everton, the guy nearly caught the ball ffs.

Dyche is a whingeing knob, although I'm sure he'd have said the same if his team of kickers had been awarded the penalty, like fcuk he would..

Never his fault, cannot give credit to the opposition when beaten and fingers crossed, will be plying his trade in the lower half of the championship this time next season with his bunch of cloggers..

I think that it would and should have been a penalty under the old handball law, whereby the defender’s arm was in a position where he was seeking to gain an advantage by blocking the shot. It was certainly a penalty under the current interpretation. Harsh, but after the Micah abomination at Anfield in the League Cup years ago, I’m taking them all!!

I don’t have a timetable of how the handball law/ interpretations have changed over recent years.

But until relatively recently the law simply said something along the lines of….

…. If in the opinion of the referee, a player, other than a goalkeeper in his penalty area, deliberately plays the ball with his hand or arm, a handball offence has occurred.

No mention of where the arm extends to exactly. No mention of what position the arm was in or where the ball was heading. Deliberate was handball. Accidental was not.

Simpler days.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.