Ref Watch City Games - 2023/24

I don't think you can lay that one on the commentators, they saw it in real time like we did and it's not them who decides what is replayed on the TV. I thought they did mention it too, they said it may have been a foul but play went on and nobody saw it again after that so there's not much more to say from them really. They mentioned the Diaz foul as Burn made a big deal of it after we scored so it was a talking point from then on, we didn't protest after their goal about the possible foul so it isn't discussed as it went by and nobody knows either way what happened there if they only watched it on TV.
There are many, many, many things that are worthy to complain about in and aroumd what goes on in our games but the commentators and even the referee yesterday were largely benign.
Newcastle could have had more cards and free kicks but so could we, it wasn't a particular one-sided display of bent refereeing or commentary.
It was basically a pre-VAR game where some things were right, some were wrong but it was pretty much even handed and nothing particularly egregious went on. If were going to whinge and throw toys out of the pram after games like yesterday then it makes our complaints about the legitimately bent games i.e. constant disallowed goals against Liverpool, United's diving and immunity to offsides, overly physical tactics from teams like Spurs, Everton, etc weaker and less effective. It makes our arguments against the use of VAR much weaker too of we can't accept that some minor subjective calls will be different throughout a game depending on the time of the foul, the area of the pitch and even the attitude of the players involved. If we're going to pick apart every single minutiae of a refereeing performance it just gives more ammunition to the people who insist we need VAR for the advancement of the game and to make sure we get the 'correct' decisions at all costs.
For what it's worth that was one of the few games I've actually enjoyed for the last 5 years or so, two decent teams giving it a go with a minimal amount of diving and feigning injury, very little time wasting, no VAR interference to spoil the flow of the match and a result that wasn't decided by the referee. That's pretty much all I ask for these days. I thought the commentary was OK too, lots of waffle as you'd expect but I like how Ally McCoist just loves good attacking football.
100% this.

We won the game. I don’t care. We’re 24 hours on and people are still moaning about the number of minutes added on.

I find it staggering the amount of hatred that people feel after every game, regardless of the result.

Come next weekend, no one will remember this, barring being quoted when a team gets 9 minutes to win a game, regardless as to whether it was justified or not.

What is there to gain from making the same rant after every game? If football makes people that unhappy, then maybe it’s time to find a hobby that is less irritating to them.
We won the game despite the ref. The fact is that only one team was trying to win the game and the time was added accordingly. Using hindsight to justify a pathetic decision isn’t a good look.

We won the game despite the ref. The fact is that only one team was trying to win the game and the time was added accordingly. Using hindsight to justify a pathetic decision isn’t a good look.
Ok mate, you do you and be angry and allow me to be “contrary” because I have a different view to you.

@danielwood5 summed up where overreacting gets us perfectly.

Maybe if refs got back to refereeing, instead of being Howard Webb's "Game Managers" it might improve somewhat.
As someone alluded to earlier, this current shit show comes from the top.
That's a bloody good point and something a group of us (of various teams supported) were discussing in the pub the other night. We all came to the same conclusion. Why don't referees actually ref the game? You can see that the refs are scared to give some decisions and err on the side of caution, waiting for VAR to sweep up their mess. It's an absolute fucking nonsense and ultimately it appears to make them poorer referees.

City`s last three games three players injured, all of which the ref is to blame, you can argue that it is VAR`s right to call off sides, but that lines man would make you look an idiot, PS that lines man has a habit of waving his flag wrongly in City games going back before VAR. Bernado`s 1st foul which resulted in a yellow was one of 6 all the others being committed by Newcastle players none of which were booked.

Top draw cheating from Tierney tonight. I’m sure there’s a directive to target Rodri.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.