Ref Watch

The Martinelli challenge was a red all day long. It was premeditated and basically an assault. The only reason I can think of for him not getting a red card is that it was 5 minutes into the game. I assume the refs are under orders to keep it 11 v 11 at all costs to ensure viewers stay watching. If I'm correct that is corruption. I could also add that a red would have all but ended the title race and nobody wants that with 3 games to go do they.

part of a referee's role is to ensure player safety. The result of not punishing Martinelli for that challenge is that Martinelli was himself injured in an act of revenge - and presumably on the basis that he not booked Martinelli he then did not book Caicedo - he then potentially gave free range to other revenge challenges, and the game is left out of control.

A good referee deals strongly with early foul play and that sets the ground rules. He could have booked or sent off Martinelli and then if Caicedo still thought he needed to take revenge he could have been dealt with the same way - and then everyone knows. Both codes of Rugby are so far ahead of football in looking to eradicate foul play by strong consistent refereeing and take a particularly strong stance on anything that involves a head injury - it doesn't ruin a game - it makes for a game in which skilful players on either side are allowed to play without thugs ruining the game.

just watching that, the difference between someone who hasn't played football v an ex pro and i agree every time with robinson , there needs to be a fast track for retired players who want to become officials

They are constantly running campaigns to try and entice ex players into refereeing. No one is interested.

Proves how clueless and naive these fuckers in black are.

Because Martinelli 'didnt lead with his arm or fist' it isn't a red........2 ex pro's, who know exactly what his intentions were,using the force of his body to cause damage,saw it correctly as a red.

The lack of awareness of these officials is staggering,they just aren't street wise,and they seem incredibly sheltered and naive.

The problem with the above is that a player will get seriously injured as a result of them not being able to recognise shithousery.
He got his, because the players know!

What makes me maddest about refs is that they should know what causes problems between players, what is and isn’t dangerous and what can be a wrist slap or part of a totting up system.

Martinelli knew what he was doing, just as those players who “make a back” for players who are jumping.

The problem is that no-one seems to want to take a stand for fear of a red card that “spoils the game!”

First: Mic and body cam the refs.
Second: Tell teams the ONLY player that can address the ref is the Captain. All others will be yellow carded.
Third: Foul and abusive language directed at ANY OFFICIAL is a red card.

Once you have put ACTUAL RESPECT back into the game, start policing fouls from a players perspective, and use VAR & pitchside monitors to help the ref see dangerous challenges he may have missed in real time.

Lastly, stamp out the diving, play acting and time wasting that has suddenly started pervading the game. You used to see a bit of each, but it’s completely out of hand. The diving for phantom fouls (Real Madrid?!!!) are clear with VAR, so use it and issue the yellow cards needed to stamp it out.

Last edited:
Proves how clueless and naive these fuckers in black are.

Because Martinelli 'didnt lead with his arm or fist' it isn't a red........2 ex pro's, who know exactly what his intentions were,using the force of his body to cause damage,saw it correctly as a red.

The lack of awareness of these officials is staggering,they just aren't street wise,and they seem incredibly sheltered and naive.

The problem with the above is that a player will get seriously injured as a result of them not being able to recognise shithousery.
This. Although they are selectively clueless and naive when to suit. Eg, decisions for teams in red

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.