Ref Watch

I've been mulling over this for some time and I keep coming back to something I've been thinking for years now.

A penalty is a totally disproportionate punishment for an innocuous handball regardless if it is handball by the letter of the law or not. It's like having your legs chopped off for stealing a cola bottle from the pick and mix.

I think everybody is focusing on the wrong problem here i.e. that the definition of handball isn't very good. Okay yes, but I think the biggest issue is that this tremendously subjective call is either all or nothing, defcon-1, which just seems bizarre.

Now I'm just like... a guy... but I propose the following change:

1) Professional handball = Penalty. A player shows clear intention to handle the ball. I'm talking Suarez world cup style, no doubts. There has to be either clear movement of hand towards the ball. Or a clear 'making yourself bigger' with arms away from body in a manner that is DGSO.

2) Incidental handball = Indirect free-kick if in the box, direct free-kick outside the box. A player has the ball touch his arm which is away from his body (like Grealish). Whether intentional or not. Arm away from body, raised above waist height and if it hits below armpit level same as current guidance. Get rid of this idea that you can read the mind of the player on whether it is deliberate and also this natural/unnatural body position. None of this shite makes sense and so it simply can't be used.

Here's the thing - incidental handballs can't be reviewed by VAR as they don't lead to a penalty. Everybody stops talking and caring so much about fucking handball which should just be relegated to a minor niche in the rulebook.

I eagerly await the people telling me why this idea is shit. I understand it probably won't happen because it would be the biggest rules update since the backpass. Nice to think about solutions though instead of moaning all the time about how shit refs are (no matter how justified).

You missed Fred on a yellow when he should’ve had another and a red
No card for the foul on KDB leading to our second
Fred should have had 5 yellows at least. fair point. Think i was focussed on the one of scandalous decisions and not the general overall bias that was going on throughout. My bad…

Last edited:
The top and bottom of this is that Coote on VAr is a Rag, hence pk, no reds for Casimiro, no pk for Kev. Corruption in plain sight, the fact they had the audacity to do it in front of a global audience shows how much undue 'influence ' the Rags have on refs/pigMob, the media and all whilst this is going on helping foreign betting cartels/ dodgy agents....

We over came their manipulation.
Just watching the game on tv for the first time & what struck me was that Coote only played one angle of incident for Tierney

The other angle, you can clearly see that Grealish has his eyes closed, so can’t know where the ball is. Therefore, showing it couldn’t possibly be deliberate

Why hamstring the ref by only showing one angle, instead of every single angle possible?

Is it just me wondering why only one angle was shown?

2) Incidental handball = Indirect free-kick if in the box, direct free-kick outside the box. A player has the ball touch his arm which is away from his body (like Grealish). Whether intentional or not. Arm away from body, raised above waist height and if it hits below armpit level same as current guidance. Get rid of this idea that you can read the mind of the player on whether it is deliberate and also this natural/unnatural body position. None of this shite makes sense and so it simply can't be used.

Here's the thing - incidental handballs can't be reviewed by VAR as they don't lead to a penalty. Everybody stops talking and caring so much about fucking handball which should just be relegated to a minor niche in the rulebook.

I eagerly await the people telling me why this idea is shit. I understand it probably won't happen because it would be the biggest rules update since the backpass. Nice to think about solutions though instead of moaning all the time about how shit refs are (no matter how justified).
Iv been banging on about that one for months. Im sure its a conclusion they'll come to.

Im willing to bet that in tomorrow's Times, Peter Walton will say "The ref/VAR got all the calls right".

Quite how he gets a gig commenting on the fairness of decisions is staggering…. He got let go for having far East betting money in his bank account…. As did a few others…..

I just noticed that paul tierney never once signal goal for the 2 city goals. VAR 100% checking can you find something to cross it out

Just watching the game on tv for the first time & what struck me was that Coote only played one angle of incident for Tierney

The other angle, you can clearly see that Grealish has his eyes closed, so can’t know where the ball is. Therefore, showing it couldn’t possibly be deliberate

Why hamstring the ref by only showing one angle, instead of every single angle possible?

Is it just me wondering why only one angle was shown?

On balance Coote is more bent than Tierney.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.