Ref Watch

Watched the challenge again today by Rudiger as not sure I could give an unbiased opinion after 10 pints. Rudiger raises his arm just before contact. I have no doubt he meant to "do" Kevin. Think it's fair enough the ref not seeing this on the field as happened off the ball and you don't always get a clear view of these as you naturally follow the play. However, would expect VAR to pick this up given they had 5 minutes to look at it. Also, surely the ref should be thinking that there is more to this due to the severity of the injury.

Also think VAR did not give the handball penalty as the ref made such a show of the ball hitting James chest 1st before hitting his arm that they would make him look an idiot by telling him it's a pen. Replay shows never hit his chest at all. When I was watching it live I thought at 1st the ref was pointing to his arm saying no penalty.

And my final point. Why was he crying at the end. Collina would never have done that.
He’s a ****

I agree, I thought he was slightly in favour of them in 50/50 decisions, and some inconsistencies in treatment of similar incidents between both teams. But none of this has any impact on the result. Also, you could see instances where he could have penalised us but didn't. Overall, I think he was quite fair.

He did blow for full time after 6:57 of the minimum 7 minutes added time, and that after some delays and timewasting had occurred.
Not that the 3 seconds or whatever would have made any difference but I agree, even just little things like that...

Last edited:
Reading the laws of the game I think I can see an argument for sending Rudiger off but I am confused as I think I have seen those tackles before result on yellows and no or little damage / danger to the opposing player what did Rudiger do different ?

The collision between his shoulder and KDB’s head is what made it dangerous.

Watched the challenge a few times now. On balance I think it was deliberate but thats only after studying it numerous times. The telling motion to me is that Rudigers natural momentum would have allowed Kevin to run inside him after he released the ball. Rudiger plants his left leg to halt the momentum and Kev runs straight into him.That planting of the left leg was a deliberate conscious action to block Kevs run. The referee must have concluded that to be the case (he gave a yellow) and after considering the injury to Kevin which was obviously serious should have sent Rudiger off for causing serious injury.

The collision between his shoulder and KDB’s head is what made it dangerous.
To me, its a deliberate block on Kevin. Its the outcome which dictates the severity of the sanction. In Kevins case an obvious and serious injury should have been punished with a red card. It matter little what Rudigers intention was. It was a deliberate block in which he lead with his shoulder which impacted the side of Kevins face. It wasnt a simple collision as Rudiger deliberately checks his natural momentum to ensure the collision.

Not that the 3 seconds ot whatever would have made any difference but I agree, even just little things like that...
Yeah. It's not the three seconds, but those plus another 30 for their timewasting would still have been within the minimum seven minutes that were given. Chance for another attack.

As you say, those little things went against us.

For me Rudiger should have got a straight red. I can understand the ref giving a yellow so that we didn't get a hasty reaction but VAR could see quite clearly that Rudiger made no attempt to play the ball, that he stepped deliberately into Kev, that there was no accidental clash of heads as he seemed to be claiming and that the damage was done because Rudiger deliberately smashed his shoulder into Kev's face. If that isn't serious violent conduct what is?

I notice the BBC describes it as "a collision" and that Kev "suffered" the injuries from some unidentified mystery source. Rudiger points out that it was "of course" unintentional (how could anyone think otherwise?) and neither mention the free kick awarded or that it was so obviously intentional that the player got a yellow. At the time Macmanaman thought Rudiger was very lucky indeed only to get a yellow and Belgium's manager has made his outrage known.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.