Ref Watch

I As a season ticket holder and paying in advance,I pay for 90minutes football,and at the moment we get between 60/65 mins.I blame the refs,Keepers taking for ever over goal kicks,start booking them from the first minute,same with ball in hand,going walk about,book them.free kicks why are refs so involved,opposition players know the rules,they are athletes 2/3 seconds and still within 10 yards book them,same at corners.Throw ins,hold on whilst I read a chapter of War &Peace, Players with “injuries” shall waitoff the pitch for the amount of time they have waisted,including who ever committed the foul.The refs in 2/3 games will stop all the liberty taken ,and perhaps we might get close to 90 mins,we pay for.If only the refs had the BALLS.
Sorry for rant pissed off with gutless refs.

Agreed. Caught him around knee height. As others have said with the current laws Stones is probably a red, fair enough. But how then is a higher tackle which actually caused a deep gash to Laportes thigh not being dealt with the same way. Comical
Yes and that's how I feel as well.....the lack of consistency is both comical and alarming. But sadly it doesn't surprise me.

Seems to me there is some inconsistency in your argument. "He (Ederson) engineered the contact" vs "Intent has zero bearing on anything according to the current laws."
When Cancello took the ball Ederson was already on the way down to intercept the ball; he couldn't reverse that movement - Fraser was on both feet and had more opportunity to avoid the collision - which would have taken him more in the direction of the ball - he was going nowhere.
He knew where he was going, straight into Ederson. He was looking at Ederson all the time, not where the ball went, and he only deviated right before contact because he didn't fancy getting really clattered. He had plenty of time to jump over Ederson, but didn't.

That said, Ederson has a habit of being rash when he charges out and will get caught out one day. Probably against Salah in the Liverpool game.

I As a season ticket holder and paying in advance,I pay for 90minutes football,and at the moment we get between 60/65 mins.I blame the refs,Keepers taking for ever over goal kicks,start booking them from the first minute,same with ball in hand,going walk about,book them.free kicks why are refs so involved,opposition players know the rules,they are athletes 2/3 seconds and still within 10 yards book them,same at corners.Throw ins,hold on whilst I read a chapter of War &Peace, Players with “injuries” shall waitoff the pitch for the amount of time they have waisted,including who ever committed the foul.The refs in 2/3 games will stop all the liberty taken ,and perhaps we might get close to 90 mins,we pay for.If only the refs had the BALLS.

Refs are now the modern stars of the game. So I suppose it entitles them to piss and arse about just as much as the players.

I googled match commander and its apparent new name 'hub commander' and then added such words as VAR, Stockley Park Pigmol etc to separate out the police commanders.
It doesn't seem to feature much over the word wide Web much at all. There were newspaper references to the Foden incident v Southmpton last year when former ref Warbick was involved in a row with an TV type person called Adam plus the commander was mentioned was in 'the Day that Football Died' when Pickford almost killed VVD.
Then there are links to various forums including this one. Unless references are buried deep in the search results, this position of potential great power to influence results even trophies gets very little mention at all. Once again the secrecy around it is the worrying thing. The two incidents l mentioned referred to specific matches but no media comment on the need for thus commander, qualifications, who appoints him issue not even by the chattering media like the Guardian. The secrecy gets even more suspicious.
One thing l discovered is that the video assistant has another assistant ref plus a technician who does the replays along with the commander fussing about. That's an awful lot of people to retrieve the footage, often in slow motion discuss and make a decision with or without alternative angles all in 5 seconds when it suits.

Seems to me there is some inconsistency in your argument. "He (Ederson) engineered the contact" vs "Intent has zero bearing on anything according to the current laws."
When Cancello took the ball Ederson was already on the way down to intercept the ball; he couldn't reverse that movement - Fraser was on both feet and had more opportunity to avoid the collision - which would have taken him more in the direction of the ball - he was going nowhere.
Edersons actions caused the contact imo.

Fraser has no requirement in the laws of the game to avoid the contact.

Pen all day long

Off the ball contact happens in every game all the time and the ref ignores it, unless it is violent conduct or retaliation, Fraser had the option to jump over Ederson but gambled on Cancelo leaving the ball.
fouls are given for off the ball incidents. Id agree more are missed. Clear pen in the chelsea game was missed by the officials last week. Still a clear pen tho imo.

fraser is not required to take evasive action to avoid a challenge from an opposing player.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a free kick/penalty given when another player has run between the supposed offender and victim and come away with the ball. Unless there’s very obvious deliberate contact between the players after that I don’t see how it could possibly be a foul.
The only stipulation is the ball needs to be inplay at the time for it to be in consideration as a foul

fouls are given for off the ball incidents. Id agree more are missed. Clear pen in the chelsea game was missed by the officials last week. Still a clear pen tho imo.

fraser is not required to take evasive action to avoid a challenge from an opposing player.
yes they do normally at corners nearly always for the defenders and almost never against a goal keeper even though they make contact with the opposition player at nearly every corner, while Fraser is not required to take evasive action he still decided to go where the ball was not.

Totally agree.

A lot of the negative issues in the game could be eradicated very quickly if the refs wanted to. If they issued yellows and reds for diving and let VAR decide (perhaps on second thoughts), then the likes of Sterling, Salah, Kane etc would think twice. How many times have we seen players rolling around and there wasn't even contact? Throw in's are a joke. Goal kicks the same. I can't blame the players, they want to take as much advantage as they can, the responsibility falls right at the feet of the refs................and unfortunately most of them are very poor and not of an adequate standard to referee this EPL.

As for time, I sometimes wonder at the end of the game where the added minutes have come from. In Hockey/Lacrosse they play by the clock and that way the full game time is played. Not a minute more and not a minute less.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.