Ref Watch

Previously, when the ball is passed to a player in an offside position, and he knows he is offside, we've seen that player stop moving, or move away from the ball and put his arms in the air to tell the ref, "I'm not interfering". What happened today has changed all that and set a new precedent - the player can now follow the ball, without touching it and be deemed to be not offside.

if Rashford stops running, there is no way Bruno get nears the ball and both city defenders and keeper would clear the ball, the fact Rashford keeps running towards the ball makes both city defenders and the keeper to act, so Rashford is interfering with play,

also the linesman should be flagging early like he did for the city players in the game, Foden a couple of times was clear and a early flag was waved stopping the play, it's shocking and a gift that will get rewarded in a brown paper bag

I was a big proponent for VAR, but then I heard a former ref on TV say that Mahrez was fouled, and the foul was in the penalty area, but the ref was brave to not give a penalty as he went down a bit weird.

Wonder what became of that former ref?

By the way, I saw the light back then what VAR would be like. Its worse than I feared.

Another thing that that has been lost in the noise after this result is how many times Mahrez was cynically fouled today without the ref reaching for his cards.

It took until the 65th minute for Ericsson to get carded for a pretty innocuous challenge on Grealish. At this point Marhez had been had been fouled about 5 or 6 times, and by the end of the game it was up to about 8 fouls. Each one cynically breaking up a promising attack.

I was a big proponent for VAR, but then I heard a former ref on TV say that Mahrez was fouled, and the foul was in the penalty area, but the ref was brave to not give a penalty as he went down a bit weird.

Wonder what became of that former ref?

By the way, I saw the light back then what VAR would be like. Its worse than I feared.
Is he the current head of the PGMOL?

When var was first introduced they told us that it would only be used in a case of ‘obvious error’. They Further said there is no ‘obvious error’ with an offside decision as it is factual; offside or onside and no subjectivity. However this is not the case as subjectivity creeps in where interpretation of the (factual) offside law is permitted/applied. Rashford by running with the ball becomes ‘active’ and as he is the ‘Target’ for the pass he should have been called offside. If this is not changed/challenged then the whole method of a defending high needs to be re-assessed. Akanji moved up and played him offside. What happened next was totally against the spirit of the law. Of course he was interfering with play, just by running with the ball towards goal he is interfering, as his actions absolutely influenced our defenders
He knew he was offside - the evidence being the fact that he avoided touching the ball.
With that knowledge in his mind, his further participation in the move- ie his continued run adjacent to the ball, which was designed to distract defenders and goalkeeper, was a conscious decision to interfere with play.
It cannot possibly be seen as anything else.

Previously, when the ball is passed to a player in an offside position, and he knows he is offside, we've seen that player stop moving, or move away from the ball and put his arms in the air to tell the ref, "I'm not interfering". What happened today has changed all that and set a new precedent - the player can now follow the ball, without touching it and be deemed to be not offside.
As long as they're wearing red

This is the crux of it. You will see similar all season in other games where the player is offside and moves towards the ball, ref or linesman straight away stops play which in turn makes a mockery of that decision this afternoon.
This happened today, there's a video on the tweet after the pic

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.