Ref Watch

Still annoyed about yesterday, all right thinking people agree its offside, but what good is it to us now? We complain, but with a shrug it carrie's on as usual,and won't stop until some proper recompense and sanctions are imposed on blatant poor decisions like that.

But the laws specify what makes them active [edited - sorry about that] - they specify what makes the player count, and are couched in wording about impacting ability of opponents to play the ball/obstructing vision etc.
There is no line of the offside law that is clearly broken, just some where it comes down to an opinion of whether it was broken. Almost by definition, there is then no clear error, and VAR does nothing.

I think this is the relevant section:
A player in an offside position at the moment the ball is played or touched* by a team-mate is only penalised on becoming involved in active play by:
  • interfering with play by playing or touching a ball passed or touched by a team-mate or [he didn't touch it]
  • interfering with an opponent by:
    • preventing an opponent from playing or being able to play the ball by clearly obstructing the opponent’s line of vision or [no City player was in range to play it, Ederson wasn't blocked]
    • challenging an opponent for the ball or [didn't happen]
    • clearly attempting to play a ball which is close when this action impacts on an opponent or [this is the point in most question for me, and is subjective]
    • making an obvious action which clearly impacts on the ability of an opponent to play the ball [similar to the immediate point above]
or
  • gaining an advantage by playing the ball or interfering with an opponent when it has:
    • rebounded or been deflected off the goalpost, crossbar or an opponent [didn't happen]
    • been deliberately saved by any opponent [didn't happen]
I think that particularly when Rashford cocked his left foot back as if to shoot, that was clearly impacted on Ederson as the ball would surely have gone to his right if Rashford shoots.

I think it was a terrible decision from a footballing opinion as it becomes impossible to defend against a player who is clearly in an offside position (see also the Salah goal vs Wolves recently), but I grew up when offside was simple, and now you get this.
I think if Rashford had stopped then Walker would have been more interested in challenging for the ball, but Rashford's continued running made him think that he must be impacting play.
The issue with said laws is the intentional ambiguity which means you can / can not endorse any decision. The simple solution would be to change the wording of the offside law. If a player affects the defending team then he is offside. Job done - flag up and move on.

The issue with said laws is the intentional ambiguity which means you can / can not endorse any decision. The simple solution would be to change the wording of the offside law. If a player affects the defending team then he is offside. Job done - flag up and move on.

Quite - the law wording is the problem.
They've fiddled with it for years and have ended up with the rubbish we now have.

If Rashford isn’t there then it is easily dealt with by Walker, Akanji, Ederson and Ake.

As Micah Richards said on MOTD, as a defender, playing a high line and playing for offside is an art form.

What is the point of playing for offside any more if decisions like that are being made.

Another instance not flagged in the spurs v arse game, Kulusevski actually dummied the ball, interesting

Still think lino a shithouse though for not flagging immediately

That isn’t fair. He’s one of the best linesman in the world and has a medal for officiating in a World Cup Final to prove it.

He did precisely as he’s instructed to do. Correctly identified an offside. Delayed his flag until a potential goal scoring opportunity was complete and then raised his flag to advise the referee he thinks there was an offside. It’s not on him that the referee ignored that advice.

That isn’t fair. He’s one of the best linesman in the world and has a medal for officiating in a World Cup Final to prove it.

He did precisely as he’s instructed to do. Correctly identified an offside. Delayed his flag until a potential goal scoring opportunity was complete and then raised his flag to advise the referee he thinks there was an offside. It’s not on him that the referee ignored that advice.
I agree with what you are saying but......in the first half, the same linesman put his flag up instantly to rule Phil Foden an inch at most, off side. Consistency is what we all crave.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.