Referees’ Performances | 2024/2025

My favourite moment was haaland being bear hugged to the ground from a corner and the ref giving a free kick to Chelsea because rule 121.4b states that Haaland is always fouling all the time.
I actually did a quick rewind to watch that again. I couldn't work out how that was a foul by us. Also i think that must be rule 115.

The VAR can’t instigate a review for a yellow card. But once he is reviewing one of the four types of incidents under his jurisdiction, in this case, a goal/ no goal.

Then all options are back open, including advising the referee that a yellow card offence has taken place.

Really? It's all so unclear. The protocol says this:
  • The referee and other match officials must always make an initial decision (including any disciplinary action) as if there was no VAR (except for a ‘missed’ incident)
  • The referee and other match officials are not permitted to give ‘no decision’ as this will lead to ‘weak/indecisive’ officiating, too many ‘reviews’ and significant problems if there is a technology failure
  • The referee is the only person who can make the final decision; the VAR has the same status as the other match officials and can only assist the referee.
I don't see how any of that applies to Haaland's yellow card. But I readily admit the whole thing is a mystery to me.

I still think people are being far too lenient when it comes to how many bad challenges he gave as simple fouls (or even fouls against us).

But I do appreciate that he could have been far worse when it came to their shitehousing and diving.
Yeah, your last sentence is why I’m willing to give a little credit. Could have been easy to get sucked in by their blatant shithousing.

Very interesting post for someone that just joined the forum last Tuesday.
Yes, 15 years ago, and I didn’t start off my tenure by making grand posts chastising other blues for how they post on the forum (which they have done in a few threads, not just this one).

Hence why I very much doubt @M23 Citizen is actually a new user. If they are, it is a very interesting way of joining a community.
This internet chat room isn’t the real world. In the real world I’ve been a City fan for decades. I’m not only just joining this community, I’ve been part of the City supporting community in Manchester for decades.

So whether I’m a new member on Bluemoon is neither here nor there, because I’m not a new anything when it comes to City therefore my opinion holds as much weight as anyone on this forum or any WhatsApp group or in any pub or at any stadium when talking about this football club.

I don’t have to be reserved in case I raise the attention of the regulars. The regulars are just a bunch of letters on the internet to me, same as anyone else on here whether they joined last Tuesday or when the site first opened. I’ll be polite, I’ll be reasonable, I won’t call people names… but if I see something that makes our wider fanbase look daft, I’ll challenge it whether it’s my first post or ten-thousandth.

So far this season we’ve had two games and in both the refs were fine. Nowhere near perfect and not even very good, but fine. Yet, reading in this thread you’d think we’d had two performances like Mike Riley’s United v Arsenal game from 2004. I think that kind of hyperbole makes our fans look daft, we are laughed at about this sort of stuff, and people should accept that others might say, ‘let’s reign it in a bit and be more realistic, eh’.

Really? It's all so unclear. The protocol says this:
  • The referee and other match officials must always make an initial decision (including any disciplinary action) as if there was no VAR (except for a ‘missed’ incident)
  • The referee and other match officials are not permitted to give ‘no decision’ as this will lead to ‘weak/indecisive’ officiating, too many ‘reviews’ and significant problems if there is a technology failure
  • The referee is the only person who can make the final decision; the VAR has the same status as the other match officials and can only assist the referee.
I don't see how any of that applies to Haaland's yellow card. But I readily admit the whole thing is a mystery to me.
I also come back to the fact that Taylor had immediately disallowed the goal before VAR even got involved. And Taylor didn’t give the yellow to Haaland (or seemingly directly convey the exact reason he disallowed the goal) until after he discussed things with VAR.

So it is still unclear to me what they had the purview to review initially and whether he acted appropriately.

From the fans’ perspective, it looked like he disallowed the goal and then worked with VAR to find the best reason to do so after the fact.

I am not saying that is actually what happened, but I don’t think anyone can seriously claim that the entire situation played out in line with the rules and guidance.

Taylor was fine. As was the ref at the CS last week.

The odd little thing here and there wrong for both refs, but that’s it.

When we start throwing lines around like ‘two leg breaking challenges’ (for two fairly nothing incidents that were just free kicks and nobody batted an eyelid at last week even from our own team), and ‘as poor a performance as i have seen’ (what in the whole of your football watching history, yesterday was as poor a referee’s performance as you’ve ever seen?!)… that’s where we get laughed at, and when we do really have a poor ref’s performance nobody pays any attention to us because we’ve cried wolf so often.

Let’s be sensible in these threads, eh. We’ve all got to be connected to these comments you all make because we’re seen as a set of fans as one entity.
@M23 Citizen

You alluded to it in this post.

This internet chat room isn’t the real world. In the real world I’ve been a City fan for decades. I’m not only just joining this community, I’ve been part of the City supporting community in Manchester for decades.

So whether I’m a new member on Bluemoon is neither here nor there, because I’m not a new anything when it comes to City therefore my opinion holds as much weight as anyone on this forum or any WhatsApp group or in any pub or at any stadium when talking about this football club.

I don’t have to be reserved in case I raise the attention of the regulars. The regulars are just a bunch of letters on the internet to me, same as anyone else on here whether they joined last Tuesday or when the site first opened. I’ll be polite, I’ll be reasonable, I won’t call people names… but if I see something that makes our wider fanbase look daft, I’ll challenge it whether it’s my first post or ten-thousandth.

So far this season we’ve had two games and in both the refs were fine. Nowhere near perfect and not even very good, but fine. Yet, reading in this thread you’d think we’d had two performances like Mike Riley’s United v Arsenal game from 2004. I think that kind of hyperbole makes our fans look daft, we are laughed at about this sort of stuff, and people should accept that others might say, ‘let’s reign it in a bit and be more realistic, eh’.
This forum is the real world, just as much as off it is the real world. That is important, as treating it as if it is not the real world is exceedingly dangerous for a myriad of reasons, some of which we have seen recently, unfortunately. We are all accountable for what we say on here in a similar way to how we are accountable to what we say off of the forum (you, yourself, have seemingly made that point; if this isn’t the real world, why would it matter what we post in this thread?). This is probably a discussion for the Off Topic forum, though, so I won’t go any further here, other than to point out the contradiction in your own stated positions.

Beyond that, though, I disagree with your overall premise regarding the criticism of referees, but am fine with your raising it. What I take issue with is your not actually engaging directly with other posters (including having the integrity to tag them in when you are directly criticising their posts), but rather choosing to make blanket statements about how blues post on the forum (and not just in this thread). That isn’t good faith behaviour and smacks of a troll, not a genuine blue looking to engage with other blues.

But I will take you at your word that you are a long time blue that has just decided to join the forum and tell everyone how they should be behaving on it.

Last edited:
But Taylor had already disallowed the goal prior to VAR intervention.

So what was VAR reviewing?
No he hadn't. The ball had hit the back of the net and then he blew. So VAR then has to look at whether the goal being disallowed was correct but whoever was on VAR was never going to overrule Alty

No he hadn't. The ball had hit the back of the net and then he blew. So VAR then has to look at whether the goal being disallowed was correct but whoever was on VAR was never going to overrule Alty
I know, that is what I was saying. Taylor had already disallowed the goal before VAR began review (but before Taylor clarified exactly what caused the goal to be disallowed). VAR didn’t begin review before Taylor blew the whistle.

So I am asking what VAR was reviewing (in the context of whether they actually should have been reviewing it)?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.