Referees’ Performances | 2024/2025

So here is a question. VAR agreed with the "referee's call" that Lewis's goal should be cancelled and Haaland gets a yellow for a reckless challenge.

View attachment 128750

Two questions, I suppose. Firstly, VAR aren't supposed to look at yellows, are they? They can't seriously be saying they looked at it as a potential red? Secondly, Taylor didn't give Haaland a yellow until after the VAR check. I thought VAR was supposed to only check what the referee has done. If Taylor didn't give the yellow, VAR can't agree with it.

Am I wrong? Again? :)
He definitely only brandished the yellow after discussing with VAR.

Agreed. Which is one of the biggest—and longest running—frustrations of fans that the powers that be continually to either ignore or actually make worse.

And the lack of accountability for (often continually) misapplying what laws there are that seem to actually be straightforward is another source of grievance.

I think we all agree with @LangleyBlue1970 that referees are humans and are going to make mistakes (and unfortunately come with inherent biases of different kinds, as we all do), so we cannot expect them to be perfect, in any match, much less every one of them.

But I do think there are some that consistently make the same bad calls from match to match (or all referees that make the same poor decisions across the length of the season), whether due to confusion, incompetence, or prejudice (or all three), which are not actually addressed in any real way.

We’ve all highlighted the possible structural reasons for the lack of real accountability (not enough referees, inadequate training, poor support mechanisms, woeful design and implementation of VAR, etc.) but all of those issues have remedies and, by and large, the league and PGMOL don’t appear to be overly committed to exploring solutions for them. Or they drag their feet on solutions, like semi-automated offside or broadcast official in-match communications (which would help to humanise referees).

I think the offside yesterday highlights that more than anything. Everyone involved—officials, players, managers, commentators, pundits—didn’t like how it played out. Literally no one was happy with it. I would wager the assistant referee desperate to raise his flag was the least happy out of everyone. But the actual decision makers that can help avoid stop this situation from continually occurring don’t seem particularly interested in doing that.

And that is a legitimate source of frustration.

Tbf, the linesman could have had the balls to put his flag up, he was clearly offside. I don't blame him for not doing so, but without VAR he would have done. And he would have been right and everyone would have said well done. The officials are being forced to do their job badly by the stupid rules.

He definitely only brandished the yellow after discussing with VAR.

Mistake by Taylor then? And VAR shouldn't have got involved in the sanction if it wasn't a red. The referee clearly hadn't taken any action for VAR to review. I thought the VAR protocol made that absolutely clear?

Or, that may all be bollocks. Who knows any more?

Mistake by Taylor then? And VAR shouldn't have got involved in the sanction if it wasn't a red. The referee clearly hadn't taken any action for VAR to review. I thought the VAR protocol made that absolutely clear?

Or, that may all be bollocks. Who knows any more?

The VAR can’t instigate a review for a yellow card. But once he is reviewing one of the four types of incidents under his jurisdiction, in this case, a goal/ no goal.

Then all options are back open, including advising the referee that a yellow card offence has taken place.

The VAR can’t instigate a review for a yellow card. But once he is reviewing one of the four types of incidents under his jurisdiction, in this case, a goal/ no goal.

Then all options are back open, including advising the referee that a yellow card offence has taken place.
Is that right? I didn’t know that. I assumed Taylor was waiting for confirmation that Haaland had committed a foul and the decision to issue a yellow card was his alone. And I’m not sure what the position would be if he’d shown Haaland the card before the VAR check and VAR had said no foul. A red card can be rescinded, but can a yellow?

But Taylor had already disallowed the goal prior to VAR intervention.

So what was VAR reviewing?

My favourite moment was haaland being bear hugged to the ground from a corner and the ref giving a free kick to Chelsea because rule 121.4b states that Haaland is always fouling all the time.
That one’s been brushed under the carpet by those thinking he had a great game.

I thought he was ok in the main btw, but that incident and the foul on Kev not resulting in a card were both a joke.

That one’s been brushed under the carpet by those thinking he had a great game.

I thought he was ok in the main btw, but that incident and the foul on Kev not resulting in a card were both a joke.
I still think people are being far too lenient when it comes to how many bad challenges he gave as simple fouls (or even fouls against us).

But I do appreciate that he could have been far worse when it came to their shitehousing and diving.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.