Referees’ Performances | 2024/2025

Were you a new user at one point?
Yes, 15 years ago, and I didn’t start off my tenure by making grand posts chastising other blues for how they post on the forum (which they have done in a few threads, not just this one).

Hence why I very much doubt @M23 Citizen is actually a new user. If they are, it is a very interesting way of joining a community.

Yes, 15 years ago, and I didn’t start off my tenure by making grand posts chastising other blues for how they post on the forum (which they have done in a few threads, not just this one).

Hence why I very much doubt @M23 Citizen is actually a new user.
So you posted to fit in then as opposed to a real opinion? If that’s M23’s opinion then it’s his/her right to post it.

So you posted to fit in then as opposed to a real opinion? If that’s M23’s opinion then it’s his/her right to post it.
No, I posted about my opinions about City, not about how blues post on Bluemoon, because I hadn’t been on here long enough to have an opinion worth hearing.

But, you are right, it is their right to post their opinion. And it is my right to post mine that their opinion is very strange.

Or are you saying I have no right to do so?

No, I posted about my opinions about City, not about how blues post on Bluemoon, because I hadn’t been on here long enough to have an opinion worth hearing.

But, you are right, it is their right to post their opinion. And it is my right to post mine that their opinion is very strange.

Or are you saying I have no right to do so?
It absolutely is. Way to go you.

The free kick is now taken from where the offender plays the ball rather than his starting position when the ball is played to him. So it’s actually possible to take a free kick for offside inside your opponent’s half if the player has come back to collect the ball.
It’s only a rule, insofar as they’re not giving offside until the player is deemed offside.
There must be another rule though?
If you go back to the infamous Rashford offside that wasn’t given, but would be if it happened again, where is the free kick taken from, being as he never actually touched the ball?

It’s only a rule, insofar as they’re not giving offside until the player is deemed offside.
There must be another rule though?
If you go back to the infamous Rashford offside that wasn’t given, but would be if it happened again, where is the free kick taken from, being as he never actually touched the ball?

It's not when he touched the ball. It's when he commits an offside offence, so challenging an opponent, obstructing an opponent and all the rest of the stupid descriptions meant to clearly define any action which leads to an offence, but clearly doesn't. The laws are a mess.

It's not when he touched the ball. It's when he commits an offside offence, so challenging an opponent, obstructing an opponent and all the rest of the stupid descriptions meant to clearly define any action which leads to an offence, but clearly doesn't. The laws are a mess.
Agreed. Which is one of the biggest—and longest running—frustrations of fans that the powers that be continually to either ignore or actually make worse.

And the lack of accountability for (often continually) misapplying what laws there are that seem to actually be straightforward is another source of grievance.

I think we all agree with @LangleyBlue1970 that referees are humans and are going to make mistakes (and unfortunately come with inherent biases of different kinds, as we all do), so we cannot expect them to be perfect, in any match, much less every one of them.

But I do think there are some that consistently make the same bad calls from match to match (or all referees that make the same poor decisions across the length of the season), whether due to confusion, incompetence, or prejudice (or all three), which are not actually addressed in any real way.

We’ve all highlighted the possible structural reasons for the lack of real accountability (not enough referees, inadequate training, poor support mechanisms, woeful design and implementation of VAR, etc.) but all of those issues have remedies and, by and large, the league and PGMOL don’t appear to be overly committed to exploring solutions for them. Or they drag their feet on solutions, like semi-automated offside or broadcast official in-match communications (which would help to humanise referees).

I think the offside yesterday highlights that more than anything. Everyone involved—officials, players, managers, commentators, pundits—didn’t like how it played out. Literally no one was happy with it. I would wager the assistant referee desperate to raise his flag was the least happy out of everyone. But the actual decision makers that can help avoid stop this situation from continually occurring don’t seem particularly interested in doing that.

And that is a legitimate source of frustration.

So here is a question. VAR agreed with the "referee's call" that Lewis's goal should be cancelled and Haaland gets a yellow for a reckless challenge.

1000000675.jpg

Two questions, I suppose. Firstly, VAR aren't supposed to look at yellows, are they? They can't seriously be saying they looked at it as a potential red? Secondly, Taylor didn't give Haaland a yellow until after the VAR check. I thought VAR was supposed to only check what the referee has done. If Taylor didn't give the yellow, VAR can't agree with it.

Am I wrong? Again? :)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.