Referees’ Performances | 2024/2025

It's a fair point that I may not remember the sequence of events accurately. Hell, I can barely remember what I was doing this morning. But I was sure (I thought) that Taylor booked Haaland after the VAR review because I remember thinking it was strange.

Anyone any thoughts?

It looks as though the actual showing of the card was not shown.

What is shown is that Taylor disallows the goal immediately (he doesn't point to the halfway line, so it's obviously disallowed).
He walks towards the incident and points at the location. I think he's talking, so presumably telling VAR what he's seen.
About 55 seconds after the incident, Taylor is shown putting the yellow card back in his pocket as Haaland is walking back towards him, so he's obviously booked Haaland by then, and it comes up on the screen as such.

Is 45 seconds enough for VAR to cue it up and review? I think it suggests that the yellow card decision was made almost immediately from the incident (Taylor took a few seconds to walk there, and had to fend off Chelsea protests on the way).

I don't think that Taylor could see where contact was made on Colwill by Haaland (Colwill is blocking his view). His linesman may have had a view and told him.

As a theory, the linesman told him 'high contact, foul, yellow card'. There was then a check for a red card (for force used, as Taylor was unsighted).

I thought Taylor believed Haaland had committed a foul worthy of a yellow card in the goalmouth skirmish, waited to see if the ball would finish up in the net and blew for the foul once it had. Of course VAR would check and if they advised it wasn’t a foul it obviously wouldn’t be a card either. So he waited for the verdict before showing the card. Which seems fair enough to me if that’s what happened

I thought Taylor believed Haaland had committed a foul worthy of a yellow card in the goalmouth skirmish, waited to see if the ball would finish up in the net and blew for the foul once it had. Of course VAR would check and if they advised it wasn’t a foul it obviously wouldn’t be a card either. So he waited for the verdict before showing the card. Which seems fair enough to me if that’s what happened

• The referee and other match officials must always make an initial decision (including any disciplinary action) as if there was no VAR (except for a ‘missed’ incident)
  • The referee and other match officials are not permitted to give ‘no decision’ as this will lead to ‘weak/indecisive’ officiating, too many ‘reviews’ and significant problems if there is a technology failure
  • The referee is the only person who can make the final decision; the VAR has the same status as the other match officials and can only assist the referee.

• The referee and other match officials must always make an initial decision (including any disciplinary action) as if there was no VAR (except for a ‘missed’ incident)
  • The referee and other match officials are not permitted to give ‘no decision’ as this will lead to ‘weak/indecisive’ officiating, too many ‘reviews’ and significant problems if there is a technology failure
  • The referee is the only person who can make the final decision; the VAR has the same status as the other match officials and can only assist the referee.
Clearly going against the guidelines then!

To avoid being called a “conspiracy nutter”, I will just say that, for me, the referee was generally very lenient on Ipswich, especially in the second half and particularly with Delap.
And couldn't wait to get the cards out for us in each of the very few times he had a chance.
Just shows how refs officiate us. Last week Ipswich picked up 3 cards in 4 fouls by the 25th minute v Dippers, today they were allowed to get away with fouls, holding and then thuggery in the 2nd half

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.