Referees’ Performances | 2024/2025

And couldn't wait to get the cards out for us in each of the very few times he had a chance.
Just shows how refs officiate us. Last week Ipswich picked up 3 cards in 4 fouls by the 25th minute v Dippers, today they were allowed to get away with fouls, holding and then thuggery in the 2nd half
Ipswich: 24% possession, 15 fouls, 3 yellows
City: 76% possession, 4 fouls, 2 yellows

It tells a story, even without noting that he let a fair few challenges from Ipswich players go that probably should have been given as fouls, including the early pull back on Haaland that should have been a penalty, and only gave one foul (no card) for a 5 second sequence that saw Delap elbow Akanji’s throat, swing his arm around to forearm Manu’s chest to finish the job, and then going studs up in to Josko’s shin, just below his knee. And that was only three of about 8 dirty challenges he put in on our players. Oh, and Dias got booked for putting his arm across a player literally seconds after one of theirs did it and merely got a foul, and Grealish got booked for being fouled in the Ipswich box.

I would like to think that he was nervous and out of his depth, with the last minute switch and not expecting to referee, so leaned hard in to the well known “home team effect on officiating” of not wanting to look like he was favouring us so swung wildly to the other side of the continuum.

To avoid being called a “conspiracy nutter”, I will just say that, for me, the referee was generally very lenient on Ipswich, especially in the second half and particularly with Delap.

Thing is - this can be true without the need for any kind of conspiracy to explain it. I think a lot of the time the simplest explanation is that referees just pity our opposition. If you have no horse in the race it's quite a human trait to show mercy to the team that is getting absolutely battered. But better referees should be able to rise above that instinct to maintain objectivity - unfortunately, we don't have better referees in this league, we have total dross.

That booking for Jack in the last few minutes was absurd. The lad's boot came off, that should be enough to tell you there was at least some contact and therefore it can't have been a dive. For me, it's every bit as much a penalty as the Ipswich shout at the other end.

I thought he was OK. The yellow card for Grealish was harsh but he clearly thought he dived. He was wrong. It happens. You can't really complain about not getting a penalty when he didn't give them what looked a clear penalty too. I will be generous and say he applied a consistently high bar for penalties and yellow cards. Good to see a new face, tbh.

Thing is - this can be true without the need for any kind of conspiracy to explain it. I think a lot of the time the simplest explanation is that referees just pity our opposition. If you have no horse in the race it's quite a human trait to show mercy to the team that is getting absolutely battered. But better referees should be able to rise above that instinct to maintain objectivity - unfortunately, we don't have better referees in this league, we have total dross.

That booking for Jack in the last few minutes was absurd. The lad's boot came off, that should be enough to tell you there was at least some contact and therefore it can't have been a dive. For me, it's every bit as much a penalty as the Ipswich shout at the other end.
See my other post, as I want to think this and a massive overcorrection toward the “home team effect on officiating” from an inexperienced and unready referee were the main drivers of such a poor performance.

I thought he was OK. The yellow card for Grealish was harsh but he clearly thought he dived. He was wrong. It happens. You can't really complain about not getting a penalty when he didn't give them what looked a clear penalty too. I will be generous and say he applied a consistently high bar for penalties and yellow cards. Good to see a new face, tbh.
You say he was OK and then list examples of why he wasn't.

An absolute shocking ref. Should never ref a PL game again until he has excelled for at least two seasons lower down. How did he miss the penalty on Haaland in the first minute and then the actual one was beyond me. And how did Delap not get booked. Utter shambles of a performance

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.