Referees’ Performances | 2024/2025

Thought Oliver backed himself into a corner by booking De Bruyne for what was both his first offence and fairly innocuous. Once he’d set that benchmark he then ended up booking 5 players in a match with only 13 fouls and hardly a bad tackle in there.
I agree, it wasn't a dirty game and yet 5 players booked. If he'd have taken a few seconds longer to think about Kdb's offence..........

Caught the trailing leg of Antonio, nowhere near the ball. Antonio might have left his leg there but not shocked to see a booking. It could be deemed cynical trying to stop a break, albeit very far back. I think once you go to ground you leave the referee with a decision to make.

He booked Emerson, Kilman and Rodriguez for similar tackles (cynical nature) if not softer in some cases slightly further up the pitch.
Completely agree. Every player booked seemed to protest that it was their first challenge, but they all merited a yellow so he was at least consistent.

What is your view on Kdb's booking ? I find even when refs have a good game, he did, we still suffer a crazy decision like that.
It wasn't a crazy decision you see bookings for those challenges all the time. He was late, took down a player and prevented a counter attack. Yellow all day long tbh.

Apart from not booking a West Ham player, whose name I forget, for a cynical foul to break up play he reffed the game fine.

The number of fouls is not important, its the nature of them.

KDB's booking was an odd one. He made a genuine attempt to win the ball, and made contact with their player. It wasn't deliberate, there was no malice, and it certainly wasn't brutal or forceful, but Olivar couldn't wait to book him for his first offence. I was just before half-time and it definitely effected his game second-half.

Compare and contrast to how he let WHU players get away with multiple similar challenges before being booked. Their foul count to bookings was 10/3. Ours was 3/2.
When they hit the post, as they broke forward Kev had to pullout of challenging as he'd be off with any contact.

It almost really changed the game.

What is your view on Kdb's booking ? I find even when refs have a good game, he did, we still suffer a crazy decision like that.
Slid in and didn’t get the ball, got the man who was about to break. Textbook yellow card.

As was Akanji’s.

Outside their three yellows I don’t remember another foul where I thought they should have received a booking.

The only time I moaned at the officials was when Kilman pulled down Haaland by the shoulders and shirt on the halfway line. Should have been a foul to City. That should have been the linesman’s call though as it was right in front of him.

Good performance by the ref. He’s the best ref for me, Oliver.

Last edited:
Thought Oliver backed himself into a corner by booking De Bruyne for what was both his first offence and fairly innocuous. Once he’d set that benchmark he then ended up booking 5 players in a match with only 13 fouls and hardly a bad tackle in there.

This. That was never a 5 yellow card game, but in the overall scheme of things I thought he was OK. There have been much worse. Every Anthony Taylor game, for example :)

There’s no such thing as something only being someone’s first offence. If it’s a yellow card offence, it’s a yellow card offence.

There is something about repeated non-bookable offence fouls accumulating to being a booking. But nothing about being let off with a yellow card offence because it’s a first offence.

When a player is about to break forward, running in the direction of the opposition goal (so not sideways or even diagonally and certainly not backwards), even in his own half, and is fouled so he can’t break forward, it should always be a booking.

There’s no such thing as something only being someone’s first offence. If it’s a yellow card offence, it’s a yellow card offence.

There is something about repeated non-bookable offence fouls accumulating to being a booking. But nothing about being let off with a yellow card offence because it’s a first offence.

When a player is about to break forward, running in the direction of the opposition goal (so not sideways or even diagonally and certainly not backwards), even in his own half, and is fouled so he can’t break forward, it should always be a booking.
Unless your playing Arsenal and no fucker gets booked after kicking shit out of you all game

In the heat of the game I hated him, but actually sitting back and thinking rationally I thought Oliver was decent

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.