Referees’ Performances | 2024/2025

Yes.

I haven't got the stats to hand right now as they are on my laptop at home, but I'll try and post them later when I get home from work.

Yeah that doesn’t surprise me and also why we don’t have that many fouls per yellow card. When we’ve got high possession, we’re pinning the other team right back and looking to regain posession quickly. That high press does lead to more fouls than if we were reverting to shape and dropping off. It’s also why the foul to yellow card ratio is low too - because we press so high, if the opposition does get out of it, it can require a foul worthy of a yellow to stop the break.

Yeah that doesn’t surprise me and also why we don’t have that many fouls per yellow card. When we’ve got high possession, we’re pinning the other team right back and looking to regain posession quickly. That high press does lead to more fouls than if we were reverting to shape and dropping off. It’s also why the foul to yellow card ratio is low too - because we press so high, if the opposition does get out of it, it can require a foul worthy of a yellow to stop the break.

I think you’re looking at it too softly.

You only have to see how Ederson was booked for one goal kick where he took his time vs Fulham vs how other teams keepers time waste for entire matches without repercussion.

Unconscious bias is definitely a thing.

I think you’re looking at it too softly.

You only have to see how Ederson was booked for one goal kick where he took his time vs Fulham vs how other teams keepers time waste for entire matches without repercussion.

Unconscious bias is definitely a thing.

That works both ways though. There’s been plenty of times I’ve thought Ederson should have been booked and hasn’t - he spends more time on goal kicks than anyone else in the league.

Regardless of that though, my point was our style will lead to a greater likelihood of committing yellow card fouls when we do commit fouls, that’s just the trade off for having a high defensive line and press. It’s a trade off I’m very happy we take.

Yes.

I haven't got the stats to hand right now as they are on my laptop at home, but I'll try and post them later when I get home from work.
After 8 Games in the PL:

Percentage of fouls leading to a Yellow Card (I've specifically only included cards resulting from fouls only)
Opposition: 22.1%
City: 37.19%

Average fouls per game
Opposition: 10:25
City: 6.25

Average City possession
65.63%

I am interested in how you reach this conclusion, mate.

It was a stat that Opta produced. Showed we’re way down the list on overall time wasting but top of the list for time taken on goal kicks.

IMG_0365.jpeg

I don’t think we’ll stay at the top of that but it shows there are times when Ederson takes his time depending on the match situation. He’s not particularly subtle about it when he does it either, which doesn’t help him.

After 8 Games in the PL:

Percentage of fouls leading to a Yellow Card (I've specifically only included cards resulting from fouls only)
Opposition: 22.1%
City: 37.19%

Average fouls per game
Opposition: 10:25
City: 6.25

Average City possession
65.63%

Yeah that’s what I’d expect to see :)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.