Referees/Officials

I'd say it makes no sense to give it where the linesman is, as he can't cross the halfway line.

For long passes, if a player running forwards, the freekick is usually not where the player is when the ball is played.

You can't be offside in your own half so kind of negates that. I was focusing on then lettering of the law, the player has to be actively in play right? So if he runs towards the ball, he's involved in the play straight away, so it should be flagged from there not when he finally reaches a player and touches the ball. I need to re-watch the Aguero incident to see it properly but I stand by going to the point where the player initiated his intent to play rather than when he meets the ball until they specifically state that in their rules unless they have? An example I can think of is if you're offside, just inside thenopposing half and a ball is played over the top but you pelt towards it and tackle the keeper, going by the Spurs one, the offside is now down their penalty box instead of way further up the park but you involved yourself in that sequence of play well before that tackle, doesn't make sense.

Google "Unconscious Bias". There is a whole load of stuff on it. I had to do a course on it at work as part of Equality and Diversity training.
An example in City terms is when ball hit Sterling's back last season Clatterspur gave a penalty (must be deliberate by Sterling to stop the ball) and when Sterling went down in Everton game brought down by keeper waved him off ( must be diving).

From the FA website.
Offsides

FAQ's
Q3: The Law now says that the IDFK for offside can be taken in the player’s own half but how can this be correct?
It is correct because:
  • a player CAN NOT be in an offside POSITION in their own half
  • a player CAN commit an offside OFFENCE in their own half if they go back into their own half from an offside position
With the exception of offences in the goal area, throughout the Laws every free kick is awarded from the place where the offence occurs so it is logical that this should also apply to offside.

After a century and a half, they invent this logic? This rule change will last only until someone scores in an important international game from a free kick for offside way into the player's own half.

You can't be offside in your own half so kind of negates that. I was focusing on then lettering of the law, the player has to be actively in play right? So if he runs towards the ball, he's involved in the play straight away, so it should be flagged from there not when he finally reaches a player and touches the ball. I need to re-watch the Aguero incident to see it properly but I stand by going to the point where the player initiated his intent to play rather than when he meets the ball until they specifically state that in their rules unless they have? An example I can think of is if you're offside, just inside thenopposing half and a ball is played over the top but you pelt towards it and tackle the keeper, going by the Spurs one, the offside is now down their penalty box instead of way further up the park but you involved yourself in that sequence of play well before that tackle, doesn't make sense.

This is relevant part of the law as written:
A player in an offside position at the moment the ball is played or touched by a team-mate is only penalised on becoming involved in active play by:

interfering with play by playing or touching a ball passed or touched by a team-mate

or

interfering with an opponent by:
• preventing an opponent from playing or being able to play the ball by clearly obstructing the opponent’s line of vision or
• challenging an opponent for the ball or
• clearly attempting to play a ball which is close to him when this action impacts on an opponent or
• making an obvious action which clearly impacts on the ability of an opponent to play the ball

None of those involve moving towards the ball in and of itself. Only challenging or impacting on an opponent. Therefore, the law was only broken, and he only committed an offence by doing that.

Marriner was right.

Was it not Mariner who booked Sergio for lifting the ball over the keeper at Burnley after being given offside? Yet the same thing happened with Son on Saturday and no card was issued
Someone please confirm that the card was definitely for playing on, and not for Sergio clapping afterwards. I can't find a clip.

Someone please confirm that the card was definitely for playing on, and not for Sergio clapping afterwards. I can't find a clip.

They way I recall it he clapped the ref after getting the yellow which had the commentator saying he was lucky not to get another.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.