Referees/Officials

The shirt pull by Digne on Sterling set the tone. This is an automatic yellow card - every ref knows it and he had hold of it for about 3 seconds, it was like one of those training exercises when they try running dragging weights behind him!

And I'm sick of commentators saying stuff like, 'he let it go because its early in the match' - so bloody what, an offence is an offence no matter what minute and if anything clamping down on it then might have sent a message that he won't stand for any nonsense.

This every time - the fucking ex-players who are now " pundits " would have been going crazy if it had been them on the receiving end .

Dress it up however you want,but to book Sterling for "diving" when everbody knew it was a penalty,and not to book Digne,at least once,in the opening exchanges of the match,(both warranted yellows)we knew it was gonna be one of those nights,and it was,an incompetent,and unfair referee to Manchester City,thankfully our football won the match,v Barca and him,the Hungarian twat
+1

Totally agree.

But to elevate this to the level of bias is, IMO, unwarranted - to assume bias, is to accuse the ref of cheating, which is hugely problematic - and I don't think that bias was involved at all.

The ref didn't want to give an early penalty - so no card for Digne - IMO a huge mistake, but I can see this.

Booking Sterling was, IMO, a huge, huge mistake. But people make mistakes. I think it was a penalty. But maybe not clear cut in real time from the ref's angle. To card Sterling for diving though is really harsh - yeah, Sterling exaggerated the foul a bit by going down... but there was contact - at worst, a non-call, but even that would have been a bit harsh.

Still, refs are human and make mistakes - I don't think that the ref was incompetent - nor do I think he was biased/cheating. I do think he, and his supporting crew, had a really bad night.

Have to disagree with most of this.

There were enough justified opportunities for cards for the Barca players which simply did not happen - that is beyond incompetence, and is a result of downright corruption.
I feel sorry for you then.

You view the world through lenses that tilt actions against your wishes as some sort of conspiracy.

Get over it!

+1

Totally agree.

But to elevate this to the level of bias is, IMO, unwarranted - to assume bias, is to accuse the ref of cheating, which is hugely problematic - and I don't think that bias was involved at all.

The ref didn't want to give an early penalty - so no card for Digne - IMO a huge mistake, but I can see this.

Booking Sterling was, IMO, a huge, huge mistake. But people make mistakes. I think it was a penalty. But maybe not clear cut in real time from the ref's angle. To card Sterling for diving though is really harsh - yeah, Sterling exaggerated the foul a bit by going down... but there was contact - at worst, a non-call, but even that would have been a bit harsh.

Still, refs are human and make mistakes - I don't think that the ref was incompetent - nor do I think he was biased/cheating. I do think he, and his supporting crew, had a really bad night.

What was he supposed to do - he had just been tripped by a fouteen stone lump of shit ?

What was he supposed to do - he had just been tripped by a fouteen stone lump of shit ?
Sterling was looking for the penalty - but yeah, it was totally a foul.

But, not calling the foul (for whatever reason) and carding Sterling (again mystifying), and on that basis concluding that the ref is corrupt - is some sort of tin-hat conspiracy lunacy IMO.

The ref fucked up - big time.

But was he an intentional cheat? I don't think so.

For that matter, was he totally incompetent - I also don't think so. He largely called the game fairly outside of these moments.

Again - if he was corrupt/incompetent - he could easily have blown for a penalty on Messi in our box (wrong call but if totally biased he would have) and he could have blown for hand ball against Kun.

you put yourself up as some self-rightous prick and them wonder why people disagree ?
I'm not self-righteous.

But I'm totally against bizarre, tin-hat conspiracy theories, such as those that you expound.

Get a grip!

The Western world isn't nearly as corrupt as you think!

Sterling was looking for the penalty - but yeah, it was totally a foul.

But, not calling the foul (for whatever reason) and carding Sterling (again mystifying), and on that basis concluding that the ref is corrupt - is some sort of tin-hat conspiracy lunacy IMO.

The ref fucked up - big time.

But was he an intentional cheat? I don't think so.

For that matter, was he totally incompetent - I also don't think so. He largely called the game fairly outside of these moments.

Again - if he was corrupt/incompetent - he could easily have blown for a penalty on Messi in our box (wrong call but if totally biased he would have) and he could have blown for hand ball against Kun.

He, quite clearly, did not

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.