Releasing 'The Lockerbie Bomber'

mammutly

Personally, I think that Abdelbaset Ali Mohmed al-Megrahi was only ever a fall guy anyway.

But whether he was or not, the Scottish minister has done the right thing.

In releasing this man on compassionate grounds he has made a real contribution to peace and slapped the war mongers in the face. Compassion in place of vengence is the better way - for everyone.

mammutly said:
Personally, I think that Abdelbaset Ali Mohmed al-Megrahi was only ever a fall guy anyway.

In releasing this man on compassionate grounds he has made a real contribution to peace and slapped the war mongers in the face. Compassion in place of vengence is the better way - for everyone.

True MM, but I feel for the families of the deceased. They are the innocent parties here.

mammutly said:

Sorry but what a load of old tosh imo.

I thought it was disrespectfull when he got off the plane in libya and one libyan was waving a big scotish flag what a way to wind the scots up

clairepartyring said:
mammutly said:

Sorry but what a load of old tosh imo.

So do you think keeping him in prison for the last weeks of his life would have a good result?

It would have tortured him and enraged his supporters, providing more fuel for extremists on both sides.

Terminal cancer is a punishment that surpasses any prison cell.

I think there is an element of truth in what MM says as if they didn't find / convict somebody for the terrible event that happened, The yanks would have probably sent troops into Libya or something. War-mongers most of them. ( sorry to any blue moon yanks in advance)

paphos-mcfc said:
mammutly said:

True MM, but I feel for the families of the deceased. They are the innocent parties here.

They are indeed. And they deserve a proper enquiry - in public. The original trial was a sham.

Release him?

They haven't even caught him yet, according to some.

What I find particularly worrying, although not surprising in the slightest, is the general difference in attitude of the American families and the UK families (as a whole, obviously).

It seems that the Americans, or at least those that are reported, are completely unable to contemplate, despite the huge doubts, that this is not the guilty party. Whilst a number of the UK family members have been quoted as being in support of reviews of the case.

Mind you, given the US reaction to the Iranian jet it earlier shot down, not an entirely unrelated event according to some, and their goverment's reaction to that, perhaps it's no surprise.

There is something in the American collective psyche that is very, very worrying and easily manipulated.

Not that it isn't present in every other country around the world. But maybe not to such a degree.

Just a coincidence that Straw did a complete about turn and freed Ronnie Biggs? His release was indecently soon before the bomber's and he was not a mass murderer.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.