Releasing 'The Lockerbie Bomber'

He should have been kept in prison for me.

There was a stat on CNN saying that an average of 60 people die of natural causes in scottish prisons each year. They said if thats a case, why aren't those people being freed to see out their death after probably doing a lot less than killing 270 people.

SambaBoys said:
For those of you who have said releasing him was the right thing to do due to his illness….

Would you feel the same if it was Myra Hindley? Ian Brady?? Rose West?

Yes, despite what these people have done I've no desire to see somebody die a slow and painful death locked up in prison.

dannybcity said:
SambaBoys said:
For those of you who have said releasing him was the right thing to do due to his illness….

Would you feel the same if it was Myra Hindley? Ian Brady?? Rose West?

Yes, despite what these people have done I've no desire to see somebody die a slow and painful death locked up in prison.

I think a few people would have a desire to see that after the pain these people have caused in their lifetimes.

mammutly said:
Personally, I think that Abdelbaset Ali Mohmed al-Megrahi was only ever a fall guy anyway.

But whether he was or not, the Scottish minister has done the right thing.

In releasing this man on compassionate grounds he has made a real contribution to peace and slapped the war mongers in the face. Compassion in place of vengence is the better way - for everyone.

Agree 100% - especially as he is highly unlikely to be guilty anyway,if experts such as Robert Fisk and Jim Swire,(who actually lost someone and therefore has a vested interest in the truth),are to be believed.
I understand that this must seem like an insult to families of the victims,but if I were them, I would be pushing for a proper inquiry aimed at bringing those truly responsible for this outrage to justice,rather than watching a terminally ill patsy die in custody whilst taking the rap for others.
It seems that in dropping his appeal in exchange for an early release,a compromise has been reached that prevents a whole new can of worms being opened,which may have had uncomfortable truths revealed.
And perhaps it finally states,(if a tad overdue),that we are no longer America's foreign policy glove-puppet.

Shockingly enough, I agree with Mutley...

Way too many question marks over his guilt in the first place...

...and all the rest of the sentiments in the OP...well said.

Interesting today to see the political agendas being pushed in public. Some of the arguments presented are ludicrous and really emphasise how fundamentally stupid many politicians are. Not all of them, but to hear one Scottish shadow minister actually argue that this ruling means that all prisoners convicted of the most serious crimes are potentially eligible for release is laughable.

Others have contested the medical evidence and argued, bizzarely, that he should have been released only into Scotland.

The link JMA mentioned earlier with the Americans 'official' shooting down of an Iranian airliner should not be ignored. The antipathy of a nation focused , in all probability wrongly, on this one man neatly avoids an equally pressing issue of justice yet to be addressed.

The release of this man misdirects popular concern. In that sense it is political. There are questions to be answered about Lockerbie and the answers might not be comfortable for the US to have aired in public. Certainly it was a terrible crime, but who was really to blame? If you really think it was Abdelbaset Ali Mohmed al-Megrahi, then the cover story has worked on you.
I don't know why he was given up by Libyia and his conviction lauded as a triumph of 'justice' when it was/is blatantly obvious that bigger forces were involved. The real campaign now though should be about a full enquiry. That might actually bring some justice.

Quite a few people believe what sky news tells them looking at this thread.

In response to the OP.

Being compassionate is the ultimate one upmanship IMO.

Defo yet another cover up, the list goes on and on. The secret services of various countries are all linked, The ISI, MOSSAD, FBI, MI6, they are all playing out there own little games,or not so little games and feeding us a load of old tosh. Not to jump off the subject but it is all relevent, but who would have thought that 2 of our FINEST men(SAS) would be caught by Iraqi police, with timing devices, explosives and ffs, dressed as Arabs,? wtf. Its all a lie, Who reckons its something to do with what happened to Garry Mckinern?(spellcheck), the Scot who tapped into the yank defence system whilst apparently looking for UFOs.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.