Religion

It occurs to me that religion is a bit like a library or indeed the internet.
What you get out of it is largely down to you.
And just as some people don't need a library or the internet, some people don't need any form of religion.
I wish I could articulate my real feelings about religion. I don't have the necessary command of words, but I do find certain churches deeply spiritual places. Others are just like an office or a pub. Nothing special.
Ultimately, I believe there is something 'bigger' than us. But I also feel we can no more fully understand it than an ant can understand me.
Religion is capable of being abused because all humans are fallible and a minority are wicked.

Humans beings are gullable fuckers.

As I said previously, we are nought but a virus.
That's as good a response as we are likely to get here and I think you call it right. All it needs now is for some folk to go back to the early stages of this thread and, to settle some people's minds, look at the origins of religion from the aspect of The Laws of Thermodynamics which we were taught at school and which tells us that energy [another word for matter] can neither be created nor destroyed. In other words, no God, no creation, no ending. All that can be said is there will be an evolution of sorts but we won't be around to know about it.

And just as some people don't need a library or the internet, some people don't need any form of religion.
I wish I could articulate my real feelings about religion. I don't have the necessary command of words, but I do find certain churches deeply spiritual places. Others are just like an office or a pub. Nothing special.
Ultimately, I believe there is something 'bigger' than us. But I also feel we can no more fully understand it than an ant can understand me.
Religion is capable of being abused because all humans are fallible and a minority are wicked.
Ants understand you enough to bite you in the bum.

Ants understand you enough to bite you in the bum.
Maybe we annoy God* in the same way with our 'religions'.

It's no use going to church (or equivalent) once a week and telling God how you love him and how you worship him if you spend the other six days shitting on your fellow humans.

*God - convenient shorthand for whatever is out there, not necessarily some old guy with a beard.

Absolutely this.
I was in Norwich cathedral last year and it's absolutely beautiful inside.
Add a choir singing and it can get emotional rather quickly.
Imagine having none of that and all the sublime music out ancestors built around such faith.

And also because of patterns, reputations in the universe it's quite easy to cast an eye towards a grand designer.

But then you try and imagine the scale of the universe (observable never mind other dimensions) and again the scale of the quantum world and I kind of give up.

Experience from atoms, memories made from atoms. Frustrates me sometimes so best to try and surf along with the experience and try not to be a c-unit.

wont be long before no religion outstrips being Christian in this country
and i bet a good few who chose Christian aren't really practising in any case

Well, it’s nice to know we’re not a majority Christian country now… sadly we’re still a majority religious country, but slowly getting there…

as pointed out, there must be a hefty proportion of people who put ‘Christian’ when they haven’t done anything religious for years.

census’s are meant to influence policy decisions at local and national level, I do hope that this statistic (and trend) is taken on board

Well, it’s nice to know we’re not a majority Christian country now… sadly we’re still a majority religious country, but slowly getting there…

as pointed out, there must be a hefty proportion of people who put ‘Christian’ when they haven’t done anything religious for years.

census’s are meant to influence policy decisions at local and national level, I do hope that this statistic (and trend) is taken on board
The problem is the amount of cunts in the country not the amount of Christians. Sometimes but not always the same thing

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.