Religious belief & intelligence

As Religion is a belief....it doesnt make one scrap of difference to someone's intelligence...If I believe in superman, fairies, ufo's or god, it doesn't make me any more or less intelligent

bellbuzzer said:
Give me the child, and i will give you the man.

Can be the only explanation, shirley ?

Not really. Many people come to religion from non-religious backgrounds. I know people brought up in atheist households who now passionately follow a religion and people brought up in devoutly religious homes who are now staunch atheists..

BlueBearBoots said:
I once worked for a very wealthy successful man who happened to be Jewish, he loved to debate religion, football, anything.
A Jewish man asked me if I was Jewish last night, as he thought I displayed enough qualities to set off his, and I quote, "Jewdar". It's not the first time someone's asked me this, possibly because I am unusually self-confident, and something I took as a compliment, as I usually like Jewish people.

Jehovah's Witness. Why?
Mormons. Why?

Never understood anyone with intelligence becoming one of these.

I have no beliefs, therefore I have no intelligence. Thank God.

gordondaviesmoustache said:
BlueBearBoots said:
I once worked for a very wealthy successful man who happened to be Jewish, he loved to debate religion, football, anything.
A Jewish man asked me if I was Jewish last night, as he thought I displayed enough qualities to set off his, and I quote, "Jewdar". It's not the first time someone's asked me this, possibly because I am unusually self-confident, and something I took as a compliment, as I usually like Jewish people.

was you standing at the pissstone at the time?

talkativesprout said:
BlueBearBoots said:

was you standing at the pissstone at the time?
Haha!

No.

having belief in something that may or may not exist doesn't really bring a persons intelligence into question.

having belief in something when it has been unequivocally proved to be wrong would bring a persons intelligence into question, in my opinion.

If you are a logical person, then all of the physical evidence goes against religion. If you are a theological person then you don't need physical evidence.

I personally, cannot make the jump to believe in an omnipotent being. What I will say is that from what I know about religion, the original message is a beautiful thing. Love for all mankind. Respect. Honour, honesty. Human greed has corrupted these messages and now religion is an excuse to wage war and kill people who have different beliefs.

BlueBearBoots said:

Are you sure it wasn't just a hint that as he'd got in three rounds running, it might be your turn next?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.