Religious belief & intelligence

Re: Religious belief & intelligence

nijinsky's fetlocks said:
Yes, of course it is.
You can even be racist and intelligent.
Not that I am in any way suggesting that anyone in particular on here is racist.
Or indeed intelligent.

Thank fuck for that.

I know a bloke who is a scientist (works on the hadron collider) who is a firm believer in God. Might be because he is catholic and Italian though but he still believes.

I once worked for a very wealthy successful man who happened to be Jewish, he loved to debate religion, football, anything. I once asked him how he could believe that the earth was only 5000 + years old (Jewish calendar) when dinosaur fossils etc had been discovered. His answer "God" made the earth with the fossils, bones buried there to create interest for people!

A true believer indeed.

As a great many very intelligent people throughout history (including the present time) have followed one religion or other, then the answer has to be yes.

I seem to remember some research done a while ago on the IQ of believers and atheists and the atheists came out with a marginally higher IQ but there was almost nothing between the figures.

Being religious isn't really to do with intelligence, more so how good your parents were at brainwashing. I have religious friends who I'd consider intelligent. Not as intelligent as me though, obviously.

Give me the child, and i will give you the man.

Can be the only explanation, shirley ?

Not intelligence as such but I don't like the whole stereotype of science against religion. ( I'm a final year student in Theoretical Physics and Maths)

I'm not "stick to the holy text" religious, but I believe in something bring out there.

What annoys me is people who call themselves scientists "disproving" God by saying that the big bang created the universe and not God.
What they fall to realise is that the big bang is just how the universe came to be as we know it now. Something had to be there for there to be a big bang.. and where did that come from?

I.e what fuelled the explosion and, what set the fuse?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.