Remembering Yaya!

To make the discussion meaningful requires a definition of legend as compared to cult hero or very good player or all round good guy.

How can you be a legend at 19-20? Surely longevity to some degree comes into the definition? As does consistent match winning games/iconic goals etc.

I would say YaYa comes into that category. Through longevity just about but for me mainly through the iconic goals and match winning performances. Also to be a legend he has to be remembered as xxxx of Man City. With Toure there is the Barca connection but the whole world knows he played for us. Of course if he doesn’t score a worldie that does not mean he had a bad game!! Off the field stuff clearly irks some fans but I don’t think that is enough to stop legendary status.
Sergio, VK and David clearly come into legendary as does Colin Bell, Alan Oakes, Mike Doyle, Dennis Tueart, maybe Corrigan, the Goat, all post 1960.
I’d say Paul Dickov is a cult hero as is Andy Morrison as is Zabba as is Gio, as is Dave Watson
I’d say Peter Barnes was a great player as was Trevor Francis and many others but would not call them legends or cult heroes

The fact that Colin Bell was captain of the Bury 1st team at 19 years of age should tell you quite a lot... An education if you like.

The fact the club were relegated the season after he left them to join Manchester City...perhaps suggests,his influence on first team performances was pretty strong.The point i am making is you can not,in my book, suggest that any age has to be attainded to be called a legend as a Footballer.

Regards Foden..Honours wise.....he is probably the most decorated 19 year old in the History of English Top flight Football.His audaciuos talent,as a true,two -footed skilful attacking midfielder with an eye for goal,an incisive pass and excellent first touch,together with the fact he is the first proper graduate from our Academy to the first team,with such wonderful experienced international players ahead of him,means..in my book,he is already a Manchester City Legend.

Now my view may be different from yours...thats fair enough,but ive supported my view ..as well as i can ..as a watcher,and player of football over several decades.Fodens unique skill set stand out to me....and no i dont think he will be embarrassed...given that players of his rare talent are praised from day one...they are used to it. Take a bit of time,educate yourself and see what Pep said about Phil Foden after his debut for City aged 16 against Manchester utd in America pre season.read what Pep said to the global press post match.....you will find that my comments sone 3 years later resemble faint praise. in comparison...
Before you start bouncing your mouth on this forum calling other posters comments embarrasing,check the facts out first.
When Guardiola calls Foden a legend, the same way has he had previously done with Aguero, Kompany and Silva, then I'll agree. Fact remains he hasn't, I doubt he ever will in his managerial career at City, he'll be long gone before Foden reaches that level, in my humble opinion.

I’ll respect what you remember him as, equally I’d ask you to respect mine.

He was a phenomenon in my eyes and trying to dissect each season and downplaying his contribution is completely wide of the mark.

He was a big game player, a colossus, a player that struck fear into all. That’s just him for me at least.

I get the lazy tag especially towards the end with us, but for me 2011-2014 he was untouchable and at a time where the mindset needed to change in our club as a whole.

Let’s just agree to disagree.

FWIW Barry in particular was very underrated and De Jong was a fine player of course.
I respect your opinion, it doesn't mean I have to agree with it. He was here from 2010-2018, that's 7 seasons, 3 good seasons from a man of his ability is a real waste. It's the consistency of the likes of Kompany, Silva and Aguero that differentiate them imo, and them not having the off the field indiscretions let's say. .

what few remember was his ability to be the calmest person on the pitch with nerves of steel when it came to the scariest moments on the pitch. You watch those big goals, he was coolest in the stadium and he had no doubt in his mind that the ball was going nowhere else but the net. Thats the difference and thats why to me yaya was the coolest finisher and had the most stand out goals.

was a pen ever going anyhwere but hard and low in that bottom corner with a cheesed off look on keepers face !!

In 2yrs though...?
Laporte
Rodri
Foden/Bernardo
Jesus/Werner
Just completely bypassing De Bruyne and Sterling, even though both are contracted till 2023 and press speculation seems to point towards us trying to extend those deals again. Come on, at least show some integrity when trying to justify an opinion.

Just completely bypassing De Bruyne and Sterling, even though both are contracted till 2023 and press speculation seems to point towards us trying to extend those deals again. Come on, at least show some integrity when trying to justify an opinion.
I'll give you KDB (if he stays), but not Sterling. He is not a striker, never will be and I think his days are numbered.

I'll give you KDB (if he stays), but not Sterling. He is not a striker, never will be and I think his days are numbered.
Hahaha ok, we'll end the conversation at that point. I can't take you seriously after that last line. If Sterling leaves, it'll be his decision, certainly not the clubs or Pep's.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.