Restless Leg Syndrome (RLS)

Isn't it related to Parkinsons?
Not related, but the connection is that they're both caused by a dopamine deficiency in the brain. I read somewhere recently that new studies found that low dopamine can lead to an increase in glucomate in the brain, which has something to do with sending messages down the nerves to cause movement..or something like that...I probably got that totally wrong, haha.. So that's what causes the sensation. I think.
The report says that doctors may have been wrong in prescribing dopamine agonists, as they probably make the condition worse in the long run.

Last edited:
Thanks, Doc. Are you a real doctor?
Mrs JASR suffers from it, and was a real doc till last month (retired).

never heard of RLS until I knew her. Happens a lot less now than it used to. Stress levels a lot less.

I mentioned this to my doc in feb as part of what suspected was diabetes, after looking various symptoms up online.

Whilst having reversed it, I think I had, and still have, neuropathy. I’m at the podiatrist next week. Have you been checked?

This is blighting my life at the moment...does anybody else suffer with it? Restless Leg Syndrome is actually a shite name for the condition, as it has nothing to do with the legs apart from the urge to move them all the time when relaxed. It's actually a neurological condition due to a dopamine deficiency. Just at the point of sleep, when you're at your most relaxed, it starts. I can only describe it as an intense tickling sensation INSIDE the body...you just HAVE to move. I can't get a proper sleep...even with the meds off the doctor. Cannabis helps...but only a bit.
There are two kinds of RLS... Primary and secondary. Secondary RLS is caused by something outside the body....like withdrawals from some drugs, a lack of iron and several other things. That can be treated, or it will solve itself once you've dealt with whatever is causing it. PRIMARY RLS, the one I have, is hereditary and gets worse with age. There are various medications that can be used, but they have shitty side effects and are usually addictive. Ropinirole is the one I've been on for the last few years...but I've gained a tolerance to them, and they've fucked my head right up. Because they'e a "dopamine agonist" medication, they make any addictions worse.
Anyway...this is not a sympathy call or owt like that...I just want to know if anybody else has it and how they deal with it... cheers.
The drug that really works is ropinirole. see your GP. I prescribed it when working with much success...had RLS myself when coming off painkillers after a nasty RTA..the tabs really work..believe me it is an awful condition.

I mentioned this to my doc in feb as part of what suspected was diabetes, after looking various symptoms up online.

Whilst having reversed it, I think I had, and still have, neuropathy. I’m at the podiatrist next week. Have you been checked?
For diabetes? Yeah..I'm ok for that.
There are two kinds of RLS...one is caused by things such as withdrawal from certain drugs, lack of iron, diabetes, pregnancy, kidney failure and some other things....that RLS can be dealt with by treating the cause.
The other RLS is genetic, and only the symptoms can be treated or managed...it gets worse the older you get. That's the one I've got.

The drug that really works is ropinirole. see your GP. I prescribed it when working with much success...had RLS myself when coming off painkillers after a nasty RTA..the tabs really work..believe me it is an awful condition.
I'm on ropinirole, mate. I'm now having to come off them as I've developed a tolerance, and I'm on the max dose. I've got down to one ml a night but can't seem to get any lower. The RLS has come back with a vengeance! My brain just wants to sleep, but the RLS won't let me. It feels like every time I start to drift into a sleep, somebody starts tickling me or shaking me awake.

Thanks to everybody for advice and comments on here...I was a bit cautious about starting the thread and describing the condition, as I thought people would just dismiss it as me being silly over something trivial. I've had friends laugh about it: "mark's shaky leg disease"!! haha. What are friends for, eh?
Channel 4 have actually made a docu about the condition a few years ago.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.