Retiring

I hope you make it buddy, all I would say is that savings are nice but really it is investments that make the money. It's not a matter of being a wizard in the stock market (although it helps). As long as you can get money into some good mutual funds and are happy to commit to them long term you will be onto a winner.

23 years will go quickly but there is nothing wrong in being ambitious, set yourself some short term goals that are realistic. It surprising how some small achievements lead to good habits.

Thanks mate, work have me on a pension scheme with Hargreaves Lansdown, but I realise I'm going to have to be savvy in my personal life, with the correct purchases and hopefully get into the property development business once I am earning a bit more and own my own place.

Thanks mate, work have me on a pension scheme with Hargreaves Lansdown, but I realise I'm going to have to be savvy in my personal life, with the correct purchases and hopefully get into the property development business once I am earning a bit more and own my own place.

the early the better and trust me time passes so quick. Good luck.

Lol,you dont know anything me,my background,or my sacrifices/ accomplishments in life,so wind you fucking neck in with the above shite.

The key word in my comment was 'choose'.As i have said on numerous occasions before,i have every sympathy/empathy for those genuinely in need,but pisstaking leaches can go fuck em selves,just like folk who want to twist my words.
And I take it that level of unnecessary hostility, lack of empathy towards others and a doctor's arrogance in your own view on everything you say being right is why you are probably no longer a moderator on here?

And I take it that level of unnecessary hostility, lack of empathy towards others and a doctor's arrogance in your own view on everything you say being right is why you are probably no longer a moderator on here?
I'm not the one who started the personal attack,if you don't like my view that's fair enough,but don't start throwing abuse or insults,as you are now,or i will respond in kind.......and you will get it back in spades.I have more than done my share in life which gives me every right to express an opinion based on those experiences.So,once again,you don't like it,as i said to the other numpty,put me on ignore or fuck off.

Hope that helps.

Back to the subject of retiring I can’t do it. I find weekends hard enough with the Mrs and I enjoy living on my wits and having a challenge. Love being involved in the transformation of Manchester’s skyline as well.

Back to the subject of retiring I can’t do it. I find weekends hard enough with the Mrs and I enjoy living on my wits and having a challenge. Love being involved in the transformation of Manchester’s skyline as well.

Its changed enormously over the last few years,some of it for the better,soon i suspect developers will be buying air space like they do in the States!
I guess if you love what you do then yes,youre right,why retire?

In the process of buying a mobile home (cash) in a wonderful woodland setting. Lot rent will be just under $600 a month which is $1,000 less than I renting an apartment currently.
Investing most of that each month into a retirement plan and in 5 years (aged 63) will go part time with work, just enough to pay rhe lot rent each month.

Been helpful this thread, I'm 61 next month, just registered on HMRC and it says I've paid 36yers full NI, 9yrs incomplete, so I'll be entitled to the whopping £175.20pw, can't wait.

Been in a couple of work related schemes in recent years but I don't expect they will amount to much, so it's a case of salting away as much as possible over the next 5yrs and hopefully be in a position to finish work and relax before dying.

Guys im 55 .. retired a whole year ago... lucky to have e some savings.. never claimed a red cent from anyone in my life... occasionally do a bit of daily work..to supply me beer and vodka.... but only when I want .. I raise beefies and lambs.. grow my own veggies.. so pretty self sufficient... its a good life and if I need more.. I can go get it as a sparkie out here...

I took early retirement four years ago and one thing I've found is you can look back at work with rose tinted spectacles. When I start doing that I think about the pain of travelling, the stress which was sometimes overwhelming due to sickness and bad rostering, moronic bosses, although towards the end I was as good as my own boss and the odd dickhead who ended up on my watch.

As a single person one thing I do miss is the banter and chats, the laughs. I lived on ships when at work so the crew becomes an extended family. I miss the camaraderie of challenging situations weather wise and sorting out problems, the self satisfaction a good shift can bring. It is beautiful though to not be answerable to anybody, to have total freedom of what I want to do each day. That of course is tempered by the present situation.

As I said in a previous post life is short with no guarantees. Too many people flog themselves to death to live a great retirement and don't make it. The main one is paying off the mortgage as that or rent takes a big chunk out of your often smaller income. A nice wad of savings helps for life's luxuries but once my state pension kicks in, if I make it, it will be very comfortable.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.