RIP MIKE DOYLE

The word legend is thrown around far too much these days. A true legend. He's before my time, but once a City player always a City player.

RIP, you've earned it. Sleep soundly.

To win the trophies he won and to be so successful whilst being a blue himself must have been a dream for him. I can't say I had the pleasure of seeing him play live, but just recalling my fathers memories of him, I wish I had. He made me laugh when I saw that interview with him and he said something along the lines of, people keep saying you were the last captain to win a trophy, I'm bloody sick of it! I wish they'd win something!

True Great and it must give comfort to his family knowing that he lived his dreams and will be remembered by thousands as a true great of the game.

R.I.P

SWP...Legend said:
To win the trophies he won and to be so successful whilst being a blue himself must have been a dream for him.

That's a very good point. Personally, I reckon if Mike - or many other members of that team - had played for one of today's so-called Big Four (surely a redundant title now) then their death would have been heralded as a major loss for the national game. With City because, prior to the takeover, our history during the modern era had been so starved of success we've allowed the significance of our own stars, international players, trophy winners and so on to be footnotes in football history rather than big, bold statements of what we've achieved.

Mike Doyle's record of success is highly significant and easily compares with the greats from his own generation at all other English clubs. At a time when honours were shared because EVERY team had a chance of success, Doyle's trophy haul, appearances, and place in the game was amongst the best nationwide.

Doyle was a true Blue City hero, but he was also one of English football's most significant players of his generation.

Was reading through my dad's programme from Doyle's testimonial last night. Some cracking articles in there about how he was scouted and how he also nearly got sold to the scum!

R.I.P Blue.

as blue as blue could be, should have been capped many more times.he was one of the stalwarts that sat back and allowed lee bell and summerbee get all the plaudits.

i seem to recall a story at the time that harry godwin our chief scout for many years had the job of recruiting him, united were in for him too, harry was worried, he needn't have been, as harry got invited in by mike's parents there was a city programme on the hall table, he smiled to himself and thought "yes" we have him.

thank you mike doyle, thank you for being our player and our captain, you will be missed sorely by this blue who saw you win the lot for us.

r.i.p.

My first City game was April 1976, a 4-3 home win over Derby when I was 14. Mike was sent off in the first half for hoofing Leighton James up his derriere when City were 3-0 up. He strode off the pitch like a colossus. I remember thinking he was God-like at the back for City, always there and always dependable. When you're 14 you're at the age when you think certain people will live for ever, you can't imagine them ever growing old and you certainly can't imagine them dying.To me, Mike Doyle was one of those people.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.