RIP MIKE DOYLE

Doyle started life as a red.

By the time he was playing football for Stockport boys he" supported both utd and city."

Not only were utd after signing him as a boy but also Burnley,Stoke,Everton,Spuds,
Arsenal,Newcastle and Wolves.

Wolves really impressed the young Doyle-they were a massive side at the time,the Stan Cullis glory years still held sway over every youngster in the land. Shortly after Doyle signed for city,Wolves smashed us by 8 goals at Molineux and he wondered for a moment if he had made the right decision...

After signing for us he states "it was City all the way...apart from one brief moment when he told utd he would sign for them."

Mike Doyle does not seem the sort of person to shirk from the truth-far from hating utd he had a healthy respect for them and their manager at the time matt busby who impressed him when they met in the 70s-what he did hate was the press and their obsession with the rags-the space given to city after an enthralling encounter with Schalke in the ECWC semi finals was dwarfed by the size of the press reporting on utd playing some meaningless friendly on the same night-he exploded with rage at the press over this-thats where the Doyle hates utd assumption began.

While its important to respect our former captain in death,he himself having been a utd fan a s a boy,and nearly signing for them in the 70s,would still want the truth to be known..as he so boldly explained in his 1st book..."Manchester City-My Team"

Its a thin line between love and hate.

RIP. He saw us win the cup again, and he will be with us in spirit when we win the league. A true city hero

mike doyle is the only player ive ever seen that gave 100% in every single minute of every single match
as a lad i used to go to watch city train at the Park Road ground in cheadle and well remember how hard he trained ,and how fearsome he was up close
somebody used the word colossus , i think thats very appropriate for this man
news of his death has affected me a lot more than of any other players.

I just wanted to add to my prevoius post. My Dad never liked Sport and it was my Uncle John who took me to the Matches from the age of 7 in the late sixties.

Mike Doyle was his favourite player.

Been away for away for a few days and not had chance to pay my respect to a true Blue legend as an old bastard who remembers him fondly especially Old Trafford April 1974 when he stood hands on hips as thousands of Rags ran on the pitch to celebrate there relegation :) RIP Mike LEGEND.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.