Ripped off by fake site - advice please

I guess I'm just overly cautious, but I just stick with known entities like Amazon, Eddie Bauer (clothes), Merrell (shoes, etc. for online purchases. Even on Amazon you have to watch out for shady sellers, but if there is a problem you will get a refund.

On a positive note, I just bought a JBL Flip 4 for the backyard about a month ago and the sound is terrific. Got it on Amazon for $79 (US dollars). Highly recommended.

It’s a minefield out there.

Companies like Amazon offer exceptional buyer security but I sometimes feel guilty over-using an organisation that’s becoming so dominant.

Wherever possible, look for a seller’s independent ratings, e.g. with Trust Pilot, Google, EBay feedback, etc. They aren‘t infallible but a lot better than a shot in the dark. And it’s generally safer to use a credit card where possible, although I admit I don’t follow my own advice in this particular aspect.

Just over a week ago my Bluetooth speaker started playing up so I thought I’d treat myself to a new one as a kind of early birthday present seeing as me and the wife recently split and I’m also nearly 7 weeks sober (see my alcoholic thread).
I chose the JBL Charge 4 and found a site called SalePhase where I could get it with £10 off and free delivery, total cost of £96.
They sent me a confirmation email with a delivery date of the 16th and a link to track my order. I checked the link yesterday and it wouldn’t load up no matter how many computers I tried, so then I tried their main website - it’s disappeared!
A bit of Google sleuthing soon revealed it’s a fake business and others have been taken in by this site and lost their money. I paid for it with my debit card so filled out an online form with NatWest but don’t hold out much hope of getting my money back.
Can anyone tell me what my chances are and what rules do banks usually follow? This is money I really can’t afford to lose.
Get your debit card cancelled.

Also, I only ever use credit cards for online purchases,

And, congrats on 7 weeks sober !

I bought a food processor online a while back. The money never came out of my account so after a week or so I figured I had fucked up entering the card number. I decided to use the wife’s card. Same thing, nothing. About a month later I got a random charge on my visa. Told the wife to check hers and someone had put ten grands worth of wine and boat rentals on it.
All refunded by visa.
Got any wine left ?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.