Riyad Mahrez

Status
Not open for further replies.
We're resigned that he'll go and all know it's fair to let him move up the ladder... but again, at this stage of the window and no opportunity to get a replacement of value. It potentially completely wrecks out season. The club comes first.
Like I said you wont get more than 55 for him in the summer if he sulks from now until then.

Algeria aren't in Russia this summer so it's not like his value will shoot up if he has a great tournament, if that's what Leicester are thinking. They aren't going to be in relegation trouble and not in touching distance of a top 4 place. Likeliest outcome is getting 7th place and a Europa League spot. They've little to gain by keeping him.

Leicester don't want to sell him, I don't think they give a shit about his value going up or down that much, he's their best player, their fans are saying he's currently playing at least as well as in 15/16 if not better.

Leicester have more money than they can sensibly spend. They have the same revenues as Atletico Madrid, but they can't convince Atletico Madrid calibre players to come to them, so they have to make sure they keep hold of those players when they end up with them.

Also, Mahrez pulls this shit every window and then goes back to playing well within a month, so they won't be scared of him threatening them.

Given that the Sanchez deal was too much salary-wise (not the transfer fee as some dumbwit rag journalists make stories about) then even £70 Million represents (to me at least) a very good deal in today's market.

The wages will not rock the boat and we get a player in the bracket of what many players are going for VVD, Pogba, Lukaku...even Sigurdson went for £45m.

This guy is a game changer and won player if the year recently. Imagine him under Pep's guidance?

I'd say 60m + 15m add ons if rags give us a guard of honor at the Etihad. We need to win all our ties and they need to lose two. Would be worth every penny wouldn't it?
Do you really think them red mardarses will give us a guard of honour? We'll have Ashley young and the face saying they can still catch us.

I do agree with you on the point that I'd like to see some of the young players given a chance. I don't know the reason why that isn't happening at the moment (though Foden has been injured for a while now). It could be that they're deemed not quite ready or strong enough yet, but i think minutes could be found for them if we really want to regardless of whether Mahrez arrives or not.

Young players at elite clubs don't really tend to get loads of chances at 17 or 18 years old. Any examples you can give tend to be the exceptions that prove the rule. Woodburn and Brewster at Liverpool seem to be highly regarded but we accept players at "massive" clubs like that have to bide their time and often don't break into the first team til they're 20/21 (like Harry Kane). Being at City, training alongside world class players and under Pep is a great place to be at right now. People are always surprised when they see how old a lot of United academy graduates actually are e.g Lingard is 25 now. But it's because they have to wait for their chance and they seem willing to do so. Someone tweeted yesterday that United don't buy players when they have injuries and give youth a chance, citing Mourinho bringing McTominay into the squad when they had injuries. McTominay is 21. Foden is only 17.

We haven't really seen anyone leave our youth set up having not been given enough of a chance and lived to regret it so far. Sancho might turn out to be one that got away.

Regarding Mahrez's temperament, I don't really think he seems that moody. He gave them another year after they won the league and hasn't downed tools before even though it must be really frustrating he hasn't been able to move on to the next level. I think he would probably gladly accept fewer games if it means the chance to play in a team like ours and challenging for the biggest trophies. He wouldn't play week in week out at any elite club which is the sacrifice he will have to make to play at the very top. At the age of almost 27, he needs to make that leap now. He's a really good footballer, he might turn out to be unplayable in a team like ours.
All fair comments and fingers crossed if he signs we get a good player and still find some room for our kids at some point and then we can all be happy :)

It's the selling clubs who are inflating the market not the other way round .

It's the tv money that is inflating the transfer market. In a world where mid-table English clubs have a higher turnover than some of the top Spanish and Italian clubs, it simply isn't worth their while to let their best players go for £30m.

£60-£70m might sound insane, but tbh i think we're wasting ours and Leicester's time by pretending it'd be decent business for them to let him go for any less than that. He's twice the footballer the likes of VVD and Lukaku are.

With news that Arsenal are paying Ozil 350k a week, what do you think Mahrez has agreed to?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.