Riyad Mahrez

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm glad someone said it. Trying to replace Mahrez with the academy kids who barely have if any senior minutes is a ridiculous notion.

"I think they've got problems, I wouldn't say they've got major problems, obviously... Three players have departed, the trick is always buy when you're strong, so he needs to buy players, you can't win anything with kids."
th-3958780957.jpg
Alan Hansen - on another team astoundingly replacing great senior players with kids.

You all sound like Alan bloody Hansen.

I'm sure the rags all felt the same way about Andre Kanchelskis and Paul Ince leaving, only to be replaced by novices like Beckham and Scholes, their fans didn't imagine these two being nearly as effective in their wildest dreams... Or even Neville who they generally hated for a good few years, be may as well have been Zinchenko filling in at right back cos Irwin had to switch to playing at left back, the general consensus with ratface was it's time to buy a left back so Irwin can revert to right back.

Barcelona did it close to 15 years back with Busquets and Pique put immediately in to key starting positions, plus a few others immediately thrust into the limelight trusted with squad places, Iniesta although seen as a wonderkid was struggling to deliver his promise not delivering, they got rid of Deco and Pep put him straight into that position every week Barca fans were in panic mode, despite Barca's overhaul they won a treble under Pep for their troubles.

Although I want replacements we all do, it wouldn't even be as many kids for us filling in as starters or squad places with either of the given cases, Ajax also won the bloody Champions League using mostly homegrown young kids too, honestly I find it shocking everyone is so completely negative and dismissive of our kids. Kids who have totally dominated and are still growing but have one key advantage, they actually know our philosophy better than most of our senior players do, this is why Rico Lewis found it so easy to fit in so well last season.

It's not an ideal situation I admit but they're probably more ready than either of the previous teams kids too... It's not like the previous teams kids had even been on loan anywhere, or had big strong opposition every week previous to being thrust into their roles.

With Palmer and Lewis getting some game time Palmer mostly out of position to cut him some slack, McAtee having a more effective loan and more experience gained than Beckham did at a similar age... If needed to just fill in here and there these kids and maybe a couple others, getting just a handful of games or far less important roles won't mean the ridiculously big drop off that some are concerned with.

It's a scary dropoff for some and although I want adequate replacements too, we also shouldn't be scared of the kids potentially having to step up and proving themselves.

Some will look at Bernardo being more important, but look at the numbers of the last 2 seasons in all competitions:

Mahrez: 39 goals, 22 assists.
Bernardo: 20 goals, 15 assists.

Losing Mahrez is going to be huge.

He absolutely needs to be replaced by an elite level signing. Not a promising up and coming player from the academy or a fill in for a year. Elite only.

Imagine losing both in the same window. 100% need an elite replacement.
Especially when on the other wing Grealish numbers are even worse .8 goals in 2 season at city .We are building a team with very high reliance on Haaland and Kdb for goals .

He got 4 PL goals from open play last season in 30 games, are people actually suggesting that is somehow irreplaceable?!
He’s clearly been a great player for us over the years but everyone’s time comes.

I'm glad someone said it. Trying to replace Mahrez with the academy kids who barely have if any senior minutes is a ridiculous notion.

It’s not ridiculous at all. We have some of the best young players in Europe. Why not give someone like palmer a proper chance instead of always buying ready made replacements

Some of th best teams ever have been built on academy kids/ a core group of them

It’s not ridiculous at all. We have some of the best young players in Europe. Why not give someone like palmer a proper chance instead of always buying ready made replacements

Some of th best teams ever have been built on academy kids/ a core group of them
I think this year may have helped with our confidence in how well youth players can perform in the league, obviously each player is different. After this year Spurs were looking at Bazunu and plenty of teams after Lavia.

I agree, and I also think Alvarez’s best position might be on the right side of a front three. No need to panic.

I agree, and I also think Alvarez’s best position might be on the right side of a front three. No need to panic.
Alvarez has not proven that yet. Almost every forward at City has been claimed to possibly have his best position on the right side by some here :) Didn't we say that about Sterling, Torres, Jesus, Foden, Palmer? If Mahrez leaves, a natural winger is needed imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.