Riyad Mahrez

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some will look at Bernardo being more important, but look at the numbers of the last 2 seasons in all competitions:

Mahrez: 39 goals, 22 assists.
Bernardo: 20 goals, 15 assists.

Losing Mahrez is going to be huge.

He absolutely needs to be replaced by an elite level signing. Not a promising up and coming player from the academy or a fill in for a year. Elite only.

Imagine losing both in the same window. 100% need an elite replacement.

View attachment 86559

Brilliant. What is the point of these people?
Wouldn't the small detail of City accepting the proposal fall somewhere between those 2 events? If it were that simple Kane would have been here 2 Summers ago. Cucarella would be a City player. Gvardiol would already be here. Bernardo would have been long gone. This idea that we give players away is utter nonsense. It cost Barca 55 mil for Ferran Torres. Sterling, Gabby and Zinchenko brought in fair returns. Otamendi and Danilo were used to offset Dias and Cancelo. Sane went for a good amount. What first teamer or key reserve have we given away in recent times. Not to mention the fees we generate with our academy players...it's annoying as fuck when others perpetuate myths about us, but it's just as annoying, maybe more so, to see some fellow blues falling in line with other bullshit narratives ignoring facts.

I've posted this before but I feel the need to bring it up again. Of the 23 man roster that was submitted to UEFA for the CL final EIGHT guys were not with the squad in 21-22, Ortega, Akanji, Lewis, Gomez, Phillips, Perrone, Haaland, and Alvarez. That is roughly 35 % of the squad. This from a squad that won the Prem the previous season with 93 points and should have realistically played in a CL final. But the squad has gone stale, we're in desperate need of a major refresh, etc. etc. Another false narrative with no factual data to back it up.

There's no denying Gundo leaving requires addressing. If Mahrez or Walker leave, likewise, but bear in mind the ages of these guys. They may still have value in the present but for all intents and purposes they're becoming part of the past. City will continue to do what we always do, make the necessary moves and adjustments under the greatest manager in the world and carry on.

One last point while I'm on this Sunday crusade, LOL, the majority of the players here today are as proficient as they are as a direct result of playing under Pep in his systems. There's no doubt they are top class players but under Pep they become world class and world beaters. Whenever someone is mentioned to be coming in there's a group on here who disapprove straight away with the same general claim of the player not being good enough. No consideration is given to what Pep sees and what he believes that player can become under him. Akanji is the perfect example of this. Excluding our own i.e. Foden, Palmer, Lewis let's take a factual look at our record for incomings on the 22-23 squad.

Hits: Haaland, Grealish, Alvarez, Mahrez, KDB, Bernardo, Gundo, Rodri, Walker, Stones, Dias, Laporte, Ake, Akanji, Ederson, and Ortega.

Misses: Phillips, but with the caveat that we can still hit with him depending on how he does in year 2

Too early to judge: Gomez

Way too early to judge: Perrone

Immune from judgement, LOL: Carson

I'd say that's a fairly impressive record, easily an A grade.

That's my anti-flapping yapping for this Summer Sunday.

No one here probably has an insight into our replacement list, but I expect us to move quickly in the market
I agree. People keep asking who is going to replace Mahrez, Walker, blah, blah, blah. The simple answer is wait and see. We'll all find out soon enough...

Some will look at Bernardo being more important, but look at the numbers of the last 2 seasons in all competitions:

Mahrez: 39 goals, 22 assists.
Bernardo: 20 goals, 15 assists.

Losing Mahrez is going to be huge.

He absolutely needs to be replaced by an elite level signing. Not a promising up and coming player from the academy or a fill in for a year. Elite only.

Imagine losing both in the same window. 100% need an elite replacement.
No disrespect to Bernardo or Mahrez but there are plenty of players around Europe who if given the opportunity to play in this squad under Pep are willing and able to provide that type of production...It cuts both ways. So much emphasis is put on what these players bring to the table, and rightfully so, but no one is emphasizing what this particular "table" brings to our players, so to speak...

We may not even replace them if we did move them on. Especially with the likes of Mbappe, De Jong, Felix and Neymar. That will sepearate the flappers. Although unlikely we may not even end up with Gvardiol (although Pavard may be the alternative). Anyway before we start packing his suitcase have they agreed a fee for Mahrez?

Last edited:
Remind me a bit of when Chelsea came in for Sterling. Looks like he could stay and would get game time but maybe less going forward. Would be stupid not to take money for him though, with everyone else getting bailed out by Saudi at least we might get some business. If Fabinho is worth 40 then so is Mahrez

Who could replace him. Sane? I would be really open to that but not sure it would ever happen. Or do we go younger with potential, Goncalves, Olise, Chiesa? Again would be happy with any of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.