Robbie Fowler's missed penalty vs Middlesbrough - did it save us from relegation?

I remember being absolutely delighted when we signed Fowler, in hindsight it just didn’t work out and did serious damage to what had been a club in an upward trajectory prior to his signing. @petrusha kindly pointed out on one of my posts on the subject, that Keegan had threatened to resign if the deal wasn’t signed due to Bernstein’s (correct) apprehension over the fee & wages involved, given his obvious fitness issues. Not withstanding he clearly wanted to stay at Leeds having initially rejected us. Shaun Goater was forming a fine partnership with Anelka just prior to his arrival.

Ultimately, it led to Bernstein resigning and a policy of the club committing large wages to what were essentially washed up players Fowler, McManaman, Bosvelt (did okay) & so on, as we had no transfer kitty & were living on a shoestring. Contrast that with the likes of Distin, Anelka, Foe who came in during the summer of 2002, it’s night and day.

To your broader point though, yes, I think we could well have been relegated. Pearce secured the job full time following a good run that got us to the UEFA Cup show down with Boro, and if we’d of gone on a long-run having lost SWP & being skint, we’d of gone under imo. That 2005/06 season fell apart when Pearce lost the dressing room after going out of the FA Cup QF to West Ham in March. Adding a European run to that would of been terminal.

Fowler was a fraud for our club, fat twat. As soon as he went back to the dippers he shed at least a stone and a half in the space of a month. Demonstrated exactly how he was as a pro footballer, **** of the highest order.

What a weird game that Boro match was, and how far out was Hasselbaink? Remember it being on the edge of the area! Great goal tbf.

Absolutely typified us as a club all in 95 minutes, Pearce, Beanie, James in the Haaland role, John Macken thinking he’s coming on only for Weaver to get the nod! Mental…

This match stands out for me as utterly gut wrenching, along with the West Ham QF.

Oh how we have moved on, THANK FUCK!

Like Craig Bellamy, I read Robbie Fowler’s autobiography to find out what happened with him at City.

Always thought he looked alright when he wasn’t playing with Anelka. They didn’t get on. Remember we lost money on Le Sulk and his career finished with allegations of antisemitism.

The Goat was a better option than Fowler at that stage in their careers. One always gave his all, the other had fuck all to give.

Loved Keegan, but the worst thing about him was how desperate he was for Fowler to succeed. Felt like we played with ten players in most of the games.
And that deal also cost us David Bernstein as Chairman.

Like Craig Bellamy, I read Robbie Fowler’s autobiography to find out what happened with him at City.

Always thought he looked alright when he wasn’t playing with Anelka. They didn’t get on. Remember we lost money on Le Sulk and his career finished with allegations of antisemitism.
We lost money on all 3 all, all of it for the other 2.

For Anelka we got back what we still owed on him, but due to his "back injury" which was stopping him playing it was below market value. The back injury cleared up the minute he left.

We lost money on all 3 all, all of it for the other 2.

For Anelka we got back what we still owed on him, but due to his "back injury" which was stopping him playing it was below market value. The back injury cleared up the minute he left.
Hated him. Miserable bastard. Waste of a career and a talent.

Always felt we never looked the same after we went out of Europe that season.

Hated him. Miserable bastard. Waste of a career and a talent.

Always felt we never looked the same after we went out of Europe that season.
It was the team building between QPR in the LC away and Southampton away, end of October when it all kicked off a month before going out to Groclin.

City were staying down south and Anelka refused to take part in the paint balling etc they were doing, Keegan was not happy and dropped him for Soton away. That was the beginning of the end. We had to wait about 5 month's for a league win after that game, and the Keegan novelty had gone.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.