Robbie Fowler's missed penalty vs Middlesbrough - did it save us from relegation?

Liverpool would never have let him go first time if he wasn’t trouble. He had that injury and never quite got back to his best.

Without Anelka, he was fine. They just didn’t work together. Very Keegan nevertheless.

Chances are we would have been out before the league season had barely started anyway, so no, highly doubtful.

I love these comments about Anelka.
He'd be worshipped on here if he ran around like a blue-arsed fly rather than being a top class footballer.
Really? I didn’t enjoy Dickov’s second spell with the club.

I felt Anelka didn’t want to be at City so it made it difficult for me to warm to him. Look at the amount of clubs he played for.

I think there is a common misconception among City fans looking back that Fowler was too old and past his best when we signed him. That's often my first thought when looking back. But in actual fact he was still only 27 when he came to us. He still should have been very much at his peak.

I remember reading his book(which came out while he was still playing for us) and the words he used were "when I went to City the fans fucking hated me" and while he said a few nice things about us, the whole book is written like a Liverpool fanzine and he basically gives the impression that they are all he cares about and he basically wasn't arsed while playing for any other club and was just taking his wages.

I wonder why we fucking hated you Robbie?

The bit of the book I remember said "I played like a cabbage in my first year and a half for City" and that the fans stuck with him and he was made up when he came 2nd or 3rd in the 2004/5 fans player of the year (vote taken before Boro pen).

Really? I didn’t enjoy Dickov’s second spell with the club.

I felt Anelka didn’t want to be at City so it made it difficult for me to warm to him. Look at the amount of clubs he played for.

I had no problem with Anelka, he was just a quiet, Muslim guy at a club where there was a distinct drinking culture. I've no doubt he wasn't quite on the same wavelength as everyone else, but he always worked hard with us and didn't seem to kick up a fuss like was expected.

He was 100% a better player for us than Fowler though, and I dare say he was happier being with us than Fowler ever was too.

I had no problem with Anelka, he was just a quiet, Muslim guy at a club where there was a distinct drinking culture. I've no doubt he wasn't quite on the same wavelength as everyone else, but he always worked hard with us and didn't seem to kick up a fuss like was expected.

He was 100% a better player for us than Fowler though, and I dare say he was happier being with us than Fowler ever was too.
Who else plays for Arsenal, Liverpool, Real Madrid and PSG by their early twenties? I wouldn’t say he was quiet when he caused problems playing for France either.

We never looked the same when we got knocked out of Europe that season and he soon left for Fenerbahce. His whole demeanour was of a moody, arrogant tosser. That never felt right for our club.

Who else plays for Arsenal, Liverpool, Real Madrid and PSG by their early twenties? I wouldn’t say he was quiet when he caused problems playing for France either.

We never looked the same when we got knocked out of Europe that season and he soon left for Fenerbahce. His whole demeanour was of a moody, arrogant tosser. That never felt right for our club.

I don't think he quite fitted in anywhere, but it doesn't mean he was a tosser. He got a lot of negative headlines before joining us, but not actually from anything all that bad (from what I remember). He believed in himself, so did sound a bit arrogant and aloof at times, but self-confidence is not that bad a thing in itself.

He was a good player and surprisingly unselfish and hardworking on the pitch. I felt at the time he was fed up with carrying Fowler all the time, who looked liked a pub player in comparison.

I'd be interested in what the truth was regarding Fowler's medical, what showed up etc. He just wasn't a top level footballer anymore. The nicest thing I could say about him is that he looked embarrassed at how poor he was at times.

That shows his quality, but City couldn't get the best out of him.
One of my cousins said he was supposed to be the icing on the cake, but unfortunately we didn't have a cake to ice.
As for Fowler: He scored a goal against the rags to seal three points. Does anybody really give a shit about his five fingered salute to the deranged Muppets? - I admit I enjoyed Hinchcliffe's five salute more but beating the rags was often the highlight of our season in those days.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.