Robinho, and the top 4!

Marvin said:
Part of the reason he flopped in his 2nd season was that he was treated with derision by the media who could not accept that a World Class player would play for MCFC. Unfortunately every time City failed to win, Robinho got the blame and he became an easy target for the cry baby tendency.

It became inevitable that Robinho would leave in the January window. But I still think he could be successful in the English game, particularly if he felt wanted. Maybe he needs to toughen up a bit. But that goes for fans too who listen too much to reporters and opinion-makers who know next to nothing about our club

Sometimes I listen to Radio 5 reports on City away games, and they've slaughtered us. Then I watch a similar performance / result from Villa, Spurs, or another of the top 4, and a totally different picture is painted. Expectations, and criticism of City is taken to another level by the media because of who we are now - the World's Richest Club - but the fans have not got to grips with it yet.

I was watching Chelsea play Boton this week. And they were making really heavy going of it, and only got a goal after about 40 mins. The crowd were pretty much silent, but you could sense the confidence in the players and crowd that a goal would come eventually. At City the fans would have been on the backs of the players after 25 mins and there would have been howls of complaint every time a ball was lost. 34 years have taken their toll.

Top post fella............fully agree<br /><br />-- Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:13 am --<br /><br />
Marvin said:
Rammyblues said:
I would like to see what sort of WC he has. Secondly if he came back it would have to be for the right reasons. If we get top four there are bigger and better marquee players out there who will improve our team no end. The money side of his transfer won't matter a jot to our owners his signing alone launched us into the spotlight, sucess on the pitch without him is now more important. I wish him well wherever he plys his trade, he could have been an absolute legend but time stands still for no one and no one is guaranteed legendary status, it has to be earned and unfortunately in his case it hasn't.
Not interested in marquee players. I'm interested in match-winners. players who can change a game in an instant with a moment of magic. Robinho can do what Messi does, and I bet he will light up the World Cup then you will all want him back

I know he didn't play well for City this season. But he's a young player who needed to feel wanted, and instead he got a lot of criticism which eventually got to him.

I think he's the type of player you need to build a team around. Instead he was stuck out on our left wing, and sometimes 15mins could pass by without him touching the ball. In a better City team, he could be more effective.

Take a team like Chelsea, or Barcelona. They ball just zips about the pitch whatever the opposition. And when it gets to the forwards in the final third they really hurt the opponents. When Robinho was at City we lacked the ability to hold possession, and Robinho was often a luxury player stuck out on the fringes of the game who might not touch the ball for 10 minutes at a time.

Players like Robinho can't carry average teams. But they can enhance very good teams and deliver that something special that very few players can do.

May just be talking rubbish, but going to watch Robinho always felt exciting, and I was always willing him on to prove his critics wrong. Very disappointing the way it "ended". I know it went wrong, but I hope he feels he has unfinished business. If he doesn't come back and prove he can play in the Premiership it will always be a blot on his career and it will be difficult for him to go down as one of the World's best players.

Yet again marvin, another top post.
You seem to be one of the few on here who actually know about football.

Quote "Part of the reason he flopped in his 2nd season was that he was treated with derision by the media who could not accept that a World Class player would play for MCFC. Unfortunately every time City failed to win, Robinho got the blame and he became an easy target for the cry baby tendency."

Hear, Hear.

Whilst I wouldn't defend him for the comments he has allegedly made about us since leaving, no doubt he was the victim of a concerted and unwarranted media campaign. Looking back, I can only really think of two poor performances this season - away at Spurs and Everton - when firstly he was nowhere near as bad as was made out, and secondly the whole team were crap anyway - he was just singled out as an obvious target for the 'City's overpaid mercenaries' line, and too many of the fans fell for it. And I don't agree for one minute that we should be writing him off as not being able to handle the Premier League because it's too physical - the guy scored 14 league goals last season, and set up plenty more. I think in an earlier post someone put that into context by mentioning that Bellamy had never scored as many in a season - I'd add that we might also think of someone like Pires who struggled badly in his first season (4 goals in 33 games), and then went on to become one of the most effective players the Premier League has seen.

Robinho is a class player who would provide us with another top attacking option, and I would have him back in a a heartbeat.

Wow bullshit comes 3 at a time just like busses, Robinho can't hack the prem, he's nothing more than a transfer make weight. Persisting with him would be stupid, as an option on the subs bench maybe but his ego is bigger than any bench I've seen and way bigger than his talent.

I'd have him back but use him solely as a sub. He's the perfect player to have when you're winning a game 2-0, bring him on and let him entertain the crowd and maybe contribute to improving the goal difference.

I hope Robinho has a great world cup, so we can use him as a make weight in transfer dealings over the summer!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.