Rodney Marsh and Dennis Tueart

Never had any personal interaction with Rodney, so have only been able to judge him from his public persona and interviews I've seen, he clearly loves the club and maybe even more so the fans and people where he lived, he speaks VERY highly of them and how welcome he was always made to feel.

Dennis, I've had a few brief ones over the years (and read his book) and tbh he really doesn't have that much of a sense of humour, a bit of 'doesn't suffer fools' etc too, but, he'll always give you his honest opinion and speak his mind, whether you like it or not, which to me is fair enough, both great players regardless.

I remember games where Tueart simply would not pass to Barnes, and the ground was getting on his back for it.

Barnes at the times was the golden boy and Dennis looked like he did not like it, he was no longer the main man.
I’ve got to admit I don’t remember it that way at all.

Well done Mark great interview. Love the stories we have never heard before. Congratulations to Franny Lee who was way ahead of his time if he's asked James Last to do a rendition of Bluemoon, yonks before any of us had ever sung it.
I spotted that too. Could be true of course as Last released about a thousand albums in his career and he did do a cover of Blue Moon around 1965 (albeit an awful hammond organ one) - I think we had a copy of that LP in the house. I'm wondering if Rodney is remembering the song request right.

They don’t get on but then again how many of us get on with everyone we’ve ever worked with? I think we’re all aware of players who have clashed with teammates either back when playing or in other ways in the years that have followed. Some of these were/are major club legends. In our support of City we want every player to be mates with every other City player but sadly it doesn’t happen. People clash and that’s that.

This is a different story but I once saw something extraordinary at Geoffroy-Guichard (Saint-Etienne's stadium). Platini was playing for them at the time. He gave an assist to a player called Larios without even looking at him. It was on a plate, Larios duly scored. They did not so much as look at other. Some players went to congratulate Larios, one or two to congratulate Platini for the quality of the pass. Couldn't understand it.
Later on, talking to a Saint-Etienne fan who knew the club well, he said it was common knowledge that Larios was knocking off Platini's wife at the time. Larios was a good player, a bit of a jack-the-lad. A bit of a Rod Marsh, in fact.
I heard the same thing about why Clemence left Liverpool. Same problem, apparently. He had to get out of town, sharpish.
Shit happens.

Neither does Peter Barnes. We’ve talked at length about this period for his biography (coming out soon) and he talked about Marsh’s fall out with Book (in the book) but nothing on an issue with Tueart at all.
Thanks for clearing that up Gary I thought I was not remembering it right.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.