Rodney Marsh and Dennis Tueart

Two totally different personalities who were poles appart, Dennis very serious, Rodney the playboy, they obviously had different ideas on how to live and play and could not get on.
As players I enjoyed watching both, but Rodney was the entertainer and the higher profile player, even though Dennis scored the winner against Newcastle, Rodney will always be one of my favourites.

Two totally different personalities who were poles appart, Dennis very serious, Rodney the playboy, they obviously had different ideas on how to live and play and could not get on.
As players I enjoyed watching both, but Rodney was the entertainer and the higher profile player, even though Dennis scored the winner against Newcastle, Rodney will always be one of my favourites.
Yeah, good summing up mate.
I too loved watching Rod. Didn't want him to go.

From being in windy corner I could hear the Kippax murmur in anticipation when either of them received the ball, although we all get giddy now it's not a noise that vibrates around our new pad.

Met DT just after his LC goal on a Junior Blues open day at Maine Road. He was sat in one of the rooms with the trophy, I hung back as the group moved on and had a chat. He let me hold the trophy too.

I was gutted when he went to NY Cosmos.

As for Rodney, I was there for his debut against Chelsea, heaving in the ground...his arrival certainly in that last few games replacing Tony Towers was similar to playing Sterling over Fern.....another cup for cockups moment.

Always remember Dennis pointing to the other players in asking the kippax to support them as well ,because at the the time just before kick off in the first game after Rodney had been dumped the kippax were roaring 'Oh Rodney Rodney ' in support of him .Deafening that day .

They don’t get on but then again how many of us get on with everyone we’ve ever worked with? I think we’re all aware of players who have clashed with teammates either back when playing or in other ways in the years that have followed. Some of these were/are major club legends. In our support of City we want every player to be mates with every other City player but sadly it doesn’t happen. People clash and that’s that.

It makes organising events, reunions etc difficult but most of the key legends know how to handle those things. At Porto the club managed to have as guests on the same transport and in the same hotel several former players, managers, directors and executives who have had issues with others in the past and it all went smoothly. I was impressed and it meant a lot to see, for example, Ian Niven, Franny Lee, Dennis Tueart, Brian Horton, Garry Cook, Chris Bird, Paul Dickov, Alex Williams, Andy Morrison, Pablo Zabaleta, Shay Given etc. as guests of the club. We may all have our favourites (or issues with some) but I think it showed that the current City is not prejudiced for one era/group or another.

I also know that lots of others were invited but due to Covid testing etc it was difficult for them to be there.

I went to a charity do in the Kippax yeas ago but I’d had far too much to drink before we got there. Dennis followed us into the lift carrying a box of wine so I asked if I could kiss him which he declined so because his hands were full I asked if I could unzip him which he didn’t think was funny and got out of the lift a floor below where he should have been going.
He’s just a spoilsport I’m pretty sure Rodders would have said carry on mate.

I went to a charity do in the Kippax yeas ago but I’d had far too much to drink before we got there. Dennis followed us into the lift carrying a box of wine so I asked if I could kiss him which he declined so because his hands were full I asked if I could unzip him which he didn’t think was funny and got out of the lift a floor below where he should have been going.
He’s just a spoilsport I’m pretty sure Rodders would have said carry on mate.
The comparison that should be made is between Rodney and Mike Doyle, which was akin to Best and Charlton. It was Doylethat got Rodney sacked, remember Doyle and Book forced Rodney into the reserves. Even split the Kippax at the time I remember Doyle being booed. With hindsight Doyle was probably right. The week before the big bust up between Book and Marsh ..Book had been bigging Rodney as nailed on England starter in the Sunday Express. We don’t take to Cockneys very much as history has proved and we have suffered notably with Clive Allen

Tried that lift trick with Doyle then I’d predict you wouldn’t be posting on here…unless you survived a crate of wine being smashed over your head lol

The comparison that should be made is between Rodney and Mike Doyle, which was akin to Best and Charlton. It was Doylethat got Rodney sacked, remember Doyle and Book forced Rodney into the reserves. Even split the Kippax at the time I remember Doyle being booed. With hindsight Doyle was probably right. The week before the big bust up between Book and Marsh ..Book had been bigging Rodney as nailed on England starter in the Sunday Express. We don’t take to Cockneys very much as history has proved and we have suffered notably with Clive Allen

Tried that lift trick with Doyle then I’d predict you wouldn’t be posting on here…unless you survived a crate of wine being smashed over your head lol
I wasn’t that pissed.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.