Rodney Marsh

Remember him taking the piss out of that boring david ginola, when he was on sky, kept calling him DAVE. HE WAS WELL PISSED OFF.

I loved watching Rodney Marsh. My only complaint was the timing of his transfer. Had the current transfer deadlines operated back then, he would not have come in until after the end of the season.

He came into a tightly-knit team at the sharp-end of the season and there was inevitable disruption which arguably cost City the title.

He came in at a time when the 1968 title winning forward line needed to be refreshed but the timing was all wrong.
Only one person to blame when he signed ... Alison,as he dropped the wonderful Tony Towers at the time who`d had a wonderful season.

Rodney was my favourite player growing up. And I kind of looked like him, so much so that when I would play football with my friends, I was always christened Rodney. Plus I was a cheeky little fucker and I used to always try some fancy stuff like him. Didn't always work mind. Not that often at all really...;) Loved him though.

To my memory, no player divided opinion more than Rodney. Some of my mates thought he was great; others that he was just too lazy and a luxury. His legend will always live on because he did some great things with us, but, he is associated with our demise, sadly. Great guy and a great pundit, imho. Happy birthday to him.

much as fans were divided, he certainly annoyed some of the players. Bit like Best and Ibra, it was all about themselves, rather than the team's. Mavericks are rare nowadays, and, imo, will soon be gone altogether, in the prem at least, as tactics and analysis's become ever more scrutinised. At least we saw some of them.....

Great post, Rodney Marsh is on a daily show here in usa on XM radio called "Grumpy Pundits" and he is just the best. Hilarious, pro city, knows the game, and just a joy to listen to. I've often wondered how his time at City was because he certainly seems to love the club
He said that he loved the club and his time here. He also said that the fans were great with him and showed him a lot of love. He thought that the City fans were great.

Last edited:
Rodney was my favourite player growing up. And I kind of looked like him, so much so that when I would play football with my friends, I was always christened Rodney. Plus I was a cheeky little fucker and I used to always try some fancy stuff like him. Didn't always work mind. Not that often at all really...;) Loved him though.
He was my favourite as well.

An absolutely brilliant fella, one of the best I have come across in the game.

I used to ghost write a few of his columns and he would always say to give his regards to my dad.

He didn't know my dad from Adam, but I told him how much my dad loved him as a player.

Made my dad's day.

He would always tell me to ring him in Florida in the afternoon and would always be in his swimming pool enjoying the sunshine, drink in hand.

Absolutely loves City.

Happy birthday, Rodders!
I love this story.

He was a brilliant individualist. I loved the thought of him coming to City when you saw what he had done at QPR and I do recall the transfer being a very protracted saga. United had signed Ian Storey-Moore from Forest for the same amount as we had paid for Rodney and there was a lot of debate about who had got the best deal. TBF Moore was a terrific player whose career was blighted by injury so I guess City did get the best payback for the money spent. I saw his debut for us against Chelsea and he looked overweight and slow and, as many will say he seemed to slow us down.

At Christmas we had been strolling towards the title and I saw us play Stoke away, a difficult game, and won easily 3-1. After Rodney arrived it all seemed to go pear shaped and I think we only saw the real Rodders once that year when we beat Derby in the last home game 2-0. He scored a great goal and ran the game but by then of course the title had gone. I think that goal is on youtube somewhere.

I thought Rodney was a greatly skilled player who sometimes did things that made you laugh out loud. His first touch would have fitted right in with our players today but I think he and Pep might have had issues with workrate!!

He was also a bit of a tough guy despite a genial approach to many things. I recall one game against Southampton when he scored a great goal, receiving the ball on the edge of the box with his back to goal he juggled it then smashed it into the corner. However the Saints team of McGrath, O'Neill, Terry Paine etc loved dishing it out and in front of the main stand someone came through late on Rodney who took umbrage!! If memory serves he nutted the perpetrator and then Francis Burns, ex rag playing for the Saints, ran in to get involved and he nutted him as well, all seemingly in clear view of the ref. How he wasn't sent off was a miracle but surely 2 players on the floor holding their faces must have given the ref a clue!! Football was different then, trust the older fans when they tell you that.

There is the story about Rodney playing for England when Alf Ramsey was the manager. Alf didn't like Rod's apparently casual approach and told him that if things didn't change he would pull him off at HT. Rodney apparently said "bloody hell Alf brilliant, at City we only get a cup of tea!!"

Anyway my feeling about Rodney was that we never consistently saw the player that played for QPR but he could really play when he was on song

Quality post. Respect to you.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.