Rodri's strike comment

No they don't they could do a Ben White and say no, it just means you wont get picked again probably.

Players aren't mentioning the internationals they play when they say they play too much, it's always too much club football.

The international football calendar hasn't really changed? The NL has come in to replace friendlies, but it's the same amount of games isn't it? In England we have the league cup which probably needs to be scrapped or a competition for non-European sides. We now have an extra two CL games in the league phase and, depending where we finish, another 2 if it requires a playoff to make the last 16. Then the Club World Cup is a summer expanded tournament. If we win the league this year I think there's three weeks between the end of that and the Community Shield. They'll then go again before playing a World Cup in the summer of 2026. So where's the rest? I don't think anyone felt the CL needed a change, straight knockout would have been better but it's money that talks. And the club world cup was fine as it was. Now it's basically going to be the last 4 of the CL repeated in the summer.

I think it will get to the point where the players have a cap in a calendar year. Players can't play more than 55 games for example and it'll be a thing that the clubs and countries have to work around.
Yup, I think you are right.

The NBA has load management rules where there are rules on player use. Load management is probably the way forward in football as well.

Is there even a mechanism for players to strike? They aren't in a union are they?

The PFA is the union for players in the premier league. I don't think the same thing exists for European competition. Ultimately if there are more games then the manager will need to increase the squad size or rest players more regularly. We've already seen Rodri have a longer break and Foden be rested so Pep acknowledges the need for rotation this season more than most. That will be the natural change. We won't hit a point where players strike or games get reduced, we'll just see more rotation from the top clubs.

It's also a question of what the top clubs are bothered about. Will they take the Club World Cup seriously? Or will they take a young squad and save the first team for the latter stages? Ancelotti said Real Madrid would sack it off before FIFA suggested they couldn't and his board stepped in! I think if Rodri was broken we'd just leave him out of it.

When you volunteer to play over 15 games for your country you can't really be asked to be taken seriously for your club asking you to play games.

We could start by asking players to put club before country.
Absolutely this and especially pointless friendlies and nations league games.

The international football calendar hasn't really changed? The NL has come in to replace friendlies, but it's the same amount of games isn't it? In England we have the league cup which probably needs to be scrapped or a competition for non-European sides. We now have an extra two CL games in the league phase and, depending where we finish, another 2 if it requires a playoff to make the last 16. Then the Club World Cup is a summer expanded tournament. If we win the league this year I think there's three weeks between the end of that and the Community Shield. They'll then go again before playing a World Cup in the summer of 2026. So where's the rest? I don't think anyone felt the CL needed a change, straight knockout would have been better but it's money that talks. And the club world cup was fine as it was. Now it's basically going to be the last 4 of the CL repeated in the summer.

Successful clubs always play more games and at club level there are loads more players to choose from, I remember baconface pulling this shit and getting slated for it.

I don't agree with the CL format full stop I would go straight to the old knockout formula, either way fuck international friendlies there isn't anything exotic about them they are a nuisance in a season that has always been long for successful clubs.

They moan if they aren't playing and they moan if they are playing too much, just get your pants and jersey on and kick off FFS.

FFS don't look at the comments underneath the BBC article - I think the the term 'Overpaid prima donna' is trending heavily.
Rodri is 100 per cent correct. The football authorities are taking the piss. Too many meaningless internationals, too many CL games. Footballers are athletes and should be supported. They bring joy to billions of people. The top ones are the best of the best and worth every penny they are paid. Racehorses are treated better.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.