Roma away

de niro said:
just get a result tuesday and this trip will be awesome.
If roma and cska draw on Tuesday then no matter what we do against bayern we will still have a chance of qualifying.

davymcfc said:
de niro said:
just get a result tuesday and this trip will be awesome.
If roma and cska draw on Tuesday then no matter what we do against bayern we will still have a chance of qualifying.

Yes. If they draw and we lose then it's:-

Roma 5
CSKA 5
City 2

Which means if we can win in Rome and Bayern beat CSKA at home (the latter being probable), we will all have 5 points each. But head-to-head will cancel each other out, surely? We would be on top against Roma, Roma would be on top against CSKA, and CSKA would be on top against us. In which case goal difference would come into it, but is this the goal difference in matches played between the three sides, i.e. Roma's home drubbing against Bayern being scrubbed from the equation?

Just looked into this, and yes, Bayern's win in Rome would not count against Roma if the three teams were to finish on 5 points.

So, a draw in the CSKA-Roma game and a defeat for City would mean that the goal difference relevant to the equation would be:-

Roma 5pts, +4
CSKA 5 pts, -3
City 2 pts, -1

So, the reality is that a draw in the CSKA-Roma game and defeat for us on Tuesday would require us to win 0-3 in Rome and hope CSKA lose in Munich. Aint happening!

Fuck. I was hoping that the 7-1 would help us out big time. Basically we need to get something against bayern and still hope it's a draw between the others.

davymcfc said:
Fuck. I was hoping that the 7-1 would help us out big time. Basically we need to get something against bayern and still hope it's a draw between the others.

Yes, I was hoping that too. But two draws in our group on Tuesday and I really think it's on. A positive result either way in Moscow and what is required of us is made as simple as it could be. Nice to know I'm not the only City fan who still cares and hopes that we can get on in this competition.

John Wayne said:
davymcfc said:

Yes, I was hoping that too. But two draws in our group on Tuesday and I really think it's on. A positive result either way in Moscow and what is required of us is made as simple as it could be. Nice to know I'm not the only City fan who still cares and hopes that we can get on in this competition.
Absolutely. We will know what we need to do before the game on Tuesday. Welcoming Bayern Munich to Eastlands live on itv in a must win game is what European football is all about. If it goes down to the wire then the rome trip could be legendary.

gordondaviesmoustache said:
de niro said:
bainy said:
Heard today tickets are selling well..dont know whether thats spin or reality
Would be 'typical city'...everyone to turn up for a dead rubber!!
really looking forward to it myself

i'm having it no matter what. its city, on a pitch, with a ball.

thats enough for me.
if we are already out so the fuck what, the crac will still be there :)
Well said, mate. Can't wait for this one.

Duffle Coats ready*. Gladiators ready.

* I'll be bringing a parka. A perfectly adequate substitute ;-)

Thank fk for that, I have a parka, I'll be taking that, thought I would look out of place for a while with everyone else in duffle coats.... phew!

I thought that if you ended on the same points it went to the head to head results.
This would mean cska would go ahead of us as we drew and lost with them.
And Roma would go through as they beat cska and drew.
But just worked out that we would be ahead of Roma...so it would be purely goal difference...
So we would need to beat Roma by enough goals for the goal difference in just the games involving those three...let's hope Manuel isn't doing the counting like last year....

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.