Romeo Lavia

Taking up the option is only part of it....the kid has got to want to come back to be messed about if your scenario was to pan out.

If the Dippers,Chelsea,Arsenal etc. or a top foreign club come in for him and there is a slot for first team regular footy,he'll be offski.
Sell on clause means they’d be looking for a bigger free from other clubs.

Hindsight is a great thing, but I do feel a bit gutted to have brought in Phillips for £40m when we could have hung on to this guy.
It's not hindsight though. People who watch the EDS regularly earmarked this lad as a star.
What little I saw of him said he was worth a punt BUT we became obsessed with a player talked up by Bielsa.
Not criticising Pep, but he puts a lot of trust in certain coaches opinions and seems to hang on their every word.
Think this is why we went for Phillips.

Oh and this isn't a 'slate Phillips' post just a question mark on why we let a very good young player leave.

Hindsight is a great thing, but I do feel a bit gutted to have brought in Phillips for £40m when we could have hung on to this guy.
Hindsight isn't a thing when posters had been saying he needs a chance way before and while we were chasing Phillips, I feel we wasted our money on the latter, certainly on current injury and form but hey ho.

It's not hindsight though. People who watch the EDS regularly earmarked this lad as a star.
What little I saw of him said he was worth a punt BUT we became obsessed with a player talked up by Bielsa.
Not criticising Pep, but he puts a lot of trust in certain coaches opinions and seems to hang on their every word.
Think this is why we went for Phillips.

Oh and this isn't a 'slate Phillips' post just a question mark on why we let a very good young player leave.
He obviously did the same listening to kompany about Gomez - and he is crap.

One of our shitter decisions,and definitely fuck all to do with hindsight on my part.

The only issue with him i see presently is fitness.

Yes I think the club made a mistake here and it's down to Pep's belief that, having played under Bielsa (and probably having spoken to Bielsa about him), Phillips had the ability to be a top DM for us.

What I would say though, is playing the DM role for City is probably the hardest position. Firstly you've got a manager who played there. Secondly, it's critical to how we perform both with and without the ball. Rodri was slated for about 18months, with this forum full of potential replacements. He wasn't a patch on Fernandinho. Now, he's one of about three who are consistently performing to a high standard.

I'd still expect way more of Phillips. He wasn't in the right positions to receive the ball, he doesn't seem to grasp that he should be on the ball more than anyone else. It was noticeable how easier Gundogan was able to link up in attacking areas once Rodri came on last night. He sits in space to receive the ball and dictate play, whereas Kalvin was stood parallel but marked out as an option.

It's easy for a DM to look good elsewhere when all they have to do is win the ball back and marshal the defence. That's a small part of the role for City. They need to have a full picture in their head. They need to be picking it up with their back to goal from a goalkeeper, under pressure. They need to always be in a position to receive the ball to enable our attacking players to get it in attacking areas. They need to be on the front foot, reading the game to win it back.

But is Phillips anymore capable than Lavia at doing that? I'm not sure. And he'll be about 28 before he gets anywhere close to performing to a decent level, whereas Lavia would be 20!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.