Rooney scandal will run

As blatant as that assault was, it brings shame on the entire game that it went unpunished. If the rules prevented the FA from taking action, then the rules are wrong. I would hope that Fabio Capello would have the balls to exclude him from the next England squad - or even the next three.

sirtaki said:
He did'nt break a leg or crack any ribs, the player did'nt need oxygen to come round, it was a coming to together between two men non of them innocent if you watch the replay, I mean watch it,it's a mans game not for little girls with tutu's on, I tell you what, I fear for the game I REALLY do.
Are you the guy informing Gaddafi that his people still actually love him?

CBlue said:
pauldominic said:
Well I think you're wrong on 3 counts here: -

1. Rooney changed direction for the "coming together". McCarthy didn't.
2. Ballet dancing is as tough a sport (if you could call it that) as any.
3. The effect or otherwise of Rooney's behaviour is irrelevant. Players sometimes get injured in legal tackles and sometimes don't get injured with fouls.

Football needs to adopt the approach taken in Rugby: -

1. An independent citing commissioner who can view the evidence after the match and dole out the punishment regardless of the referee.
2. An anonymous person in the crowd who writes a report on the referee's performance at the match.
3. The only players on the pitch who have the right to talk to the referee are the captains on each side and also share responsibility with the referee for their team's discipline.
4. The right to call on television evidence when a critical game changing decision has to be made.
5. A yellow card leads to the sin-bin. 2 yellow cards also =1 red.

1 & 2 are workable. # 3, I'm not sure, but possibly. #4 is totally unworkable in football & is impossible to implement without destroying the integrity of the game. #5 will lead to even more corruption & incompetence - Balotelli was booked on Sunday for no reason, Rooney wasn't booked for a premeditated assault - square the circle for me.

Point 3 is workable because the referee calls the captain plus offender to him. In other words, the referee has the right to talk to any player, but does it via the captain and the hierarchy of authority and responsibility is clear.

It would also stop this stupid scenario of players crowding round the referee who has to wave them away.

I disagree about point 4. The nature of Rugby Union is different to football, but what I'm talking about is *game changing* decisions such as whether the ball crossed the line, or the foul was committed inside or outside the box. You wouldn't use it for offside because thats the linesman's job or foul play.

You're only gonna get somewhere between 0 and 2 of those in any football match.

As for point 5 I agree although I would hope that with time we would see less corruption and potentially fewer yellow cards.

Something along the lines of "Next time its yellow" to reign in a particular player.

With regard to point 2, probably the worst performance I've ever seen was a certain Andre Watson in the 2003 world cup final. He was quietly disposed of without all of this ridiculous fuss.

EDIT: With regard to technology, the referee only calls it in if he has any doubt of course.
-- Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:45 pm --

mike channon´s windmill said:
sirtaki said:
He did'nt break a leg or crack any ribs, the player did'nt need oxygen to come round, it was a coming to together between two men non of them innocent if you watch the replay, I mean watch it,it's a mans game not for little girls with tutu's on, I tell you what, I fear for the game I REALLY do.
Are you the guy informing Gaddafi that his people still actually love him?

:lol:

The same thought entered my head and also Robert Mugabe.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.