Roque Santa Cruz

CTID101 said:
It isn't his fault the wages he has got and the price we paid. The real question was why was Hughes allowed to get him the first place.

One of the most bizarre transfers i have seen in a while. Has barely ever completed a season i think yet he was given authority to pay that price.

Thankfully we have got alot better because Sheikh Mansour was taken for a big ride when he came in with players like Santa Cruz.

I still say this is why Hughes got sacked (mostly) he lied about RSC ability so Highes could get his kickback on th sell on clause of RSCs Blackburn contract. And dont think CIty even knew about that sell on clause till afterwards.

The question is why did we have to triple his wages? Even back then Manchester City was a more enticing prospect than Blackburn so why on earth did we feel the need to pay him £90,000/week after splashing out a big transfer fee? Some awful decisions made in the early post-takeover days. You can understand Robinho and Adebayor, but Bridge and Crocky on those wages when there were already cheaper and better alternatives out there who would have come to City...

A decent player when fit but not worth £17,500,000 and treble his wages. That deal and the poor form in the league, quite rightly, cost Hughes his job.

bluefandk said:
i say it again the deals for him and Bridge were the worst in the history of football.

On the flip,the deals for Kompany,Zabba,Barry and Zabs were among the best.

bluefandk said:
i say it again the deals for him and Bridge were the worst in the history of football.

At least Bridge was average when he played....and he's effectively sold now.

our transfer policy around that time was blighted by the position we were in. we had to pay over the odds to attract players. that said rsc is and always has been an imposter of a player. for that signing alone hughes had to be sacked. in a better manner but the sack either way.

IIRC, signed after he had been out for months with a bad fucking knee to make matters worse.

Shameful!

de niro said:
our transfer policy around that time was blighted by the position we were in. we had to pay over the odds to attract players. that said rsc is and always has been an imposter of a player. for that signing alone hughes had to be sacked. in a better manner but the sack either way.

Our transfer policy was blighted by hughes' narrow mindedness in only going for 'prem proven' players. One of hughes' greatest advantages was that he knew the prem and was good at bringing players in who were suited to it, he bottled it and wanted comfort zone signings that he knew would do ok and not completely flop. A year down the line we were in the same position as far as overpaying was concerned, difference is Mancini brought in serious quality in the form of the likes of Yaya and Dave

blueinsa said:
IIRC, signed after he had been out for months with a bad fucking knee to make matters worse.

Shameful!

Yep, brought in while still injured iirc yet managed to pass the medical. 'Bizarre' transfer would be the kindest way to put it. Pound for pound the worst transfer in football ever.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.