Ross Barkley

Jim Tolmie's Underpants said:
comment_MkaHvFrT2Kgm8LpRnafXHcVkZhMfC3ic.gif
Love 'the Guster' gif.....!

Another thing, What's this nonsense about City fans becoming snobby and the reason why people don't like us now? Who cares, Do you think we care if people don't like us?? Do you think Chelsea or the rags or Real Madrid/Bayern fans care that other fans hate them? If you're not hated it means you're doing something wrong and it usually is followed by pity, It's the reason why Arsenal fans have gained a lot of sympathy recently because people realize they are perennial losers and people love a loser not a winner.

ManCityX said:
I remember half this board saying Bale wasn't worth £40 million and that was 11/12 season.

If we don't buy him then another top side will.

Spot on; I recall plenty of sentiment on here questioning the worth of Bale

chesterbells said:
ManCityX said:
I remember half this board saying Bale wasn't worth £40 million and that was 11/12 season.

Spot on; I recall plenty of sentiment on here questioning the worth of Bale

Hindsight is a wonderful thing. It was only a couple of years previous that Spurs were desperate to get rid, hawked him around for £5M and couldn't find any takers.

OB1 said:
Mister Appointment said:
ManCityX said:

Spot on mate. Totally agree.

I'd also say the same about Sterling. People comparing him to SWP are off the rockers. I loved SWP but Sterling is a class above him as a footballer.

Personally I think City's business next summer should be built around signing both these lads.

I still have question marks over both Barkley and Sterling - moreso the latter - but I do think City should make both of them priorities for next summer because we need to have some of the best young English players in our squad, due to the homegrown rules, and these two have potential and display the kinds of attributes for where we need to go in terms of shaping the squad.

I guess at that age it's difficult for there to be no question marks. I just think these two are worth the risk/financial outlay.

Gotta say, Roberto Martinez is talking up Barkley a lot at present. Just read a quote from him saying "I've no doubt Ross will be there greatest English player ever". Ever. I wonder whether him and Kenwright aren't dreaming about proper fleecing us for him.

Personally I think City should pay whatever it takes for him. Even if it's 60 million.

efcblue said:
kenzie115 said:
I understand your stance because you don't want to believe the truth, and to some extents I wish it wasn't true, but sooner or later, if Barkley fulfils his potential, he's going to want to be playing regular Champions League football and have a chance of winning major honours. With football the way it is (this is the bit I don't like) there are only a few clubs who can guarantee these things, and so Ross is going to move on. The difference with Gerrard was that Liverpool could offer him what Everton can't offer Barkley.

With Ross wanting to move Everton lose some of their power. He's on a long contract, so they're still in a good position to ask for good money, but if they refuse to let him go for a reasonable amount he'll start to kick up a fuss. This could result in him running his contract down, but that would obviously take a while and would suit no party as Everton would end up with less money and an unhappy player and the buying club would have to wait. The more likely result is that he'll be sold for around £30-£40m.

You might not like it, but that's just the way the game works at the moment. As City fans we're lucky that Sheikh Mansour came in, but I can empathise with fans that don't have wealthy backers and realise it's a bit shit.

Patronising, condescending, ad infinitum. This is a Man City forum and I'll respect its rules but if a person doesn't like a City fan, this is the reason why. You run into money and become quite snobby. The rest of your post is, like I have said earlier, assumptions with no actual facts.

Apologies if it came across as patronising or condescending as my intention was quite the opposite.

You're correct that the rest of my post is in fact assumptions. However, they are assumptions based on many many previous examples of similar situations.
Name me one non-Champions League player, that was wanted by at least one Champions League club, that didn't end up leaving?

You've quoted Modric and Suarez as examples and whilst the selling club stood its ground at first, they eventually had no option but to give in and sell.

It's the shit reality of modern day football. As I said before, City fans are lucky that we joined the Champions League clubs because of Sheikh Mansour's investment, so we get the benefits. However, as a football fan, I'd rather there be a completely even playing field. Imagine starting a season where any of the 20 teams could win the league or get relegated, it'd be a lot more interesting and a lit less predictable than the current set up.

kenzie115 said:
Apologies if it came across as patronising or condescending

You didn't Kenzie.

It was a very good post which spelled out the realities of football and our fortunate position.

The combination of blinkered supporter,while hitting a raw nerve...... has simply put the blue dipper on the defensive.

If he honestly believes Everton can fulfil the aspirations of Barkley then he isn't very bright.

bluecityste said:
Not sure why the efc fan said your post was condescending as I thought it was anything but.

Me too, I thought he pretty much summed up how it is these days. Reminds me of when we had to sell SWP to Chelsea, it was inevitable in the end and that's just how it is.

The scouse mindset is like that though.
I was having one of those semi-drunk football chats with a red dipper during last seasons title run in, I think it was a couple of days before they played Chelsea at home. Anyway I was being very complimentary on their style but I did mention the advantages of them having no CL and going out of the cups early. This was all too much for RD as he claimed I had branded them shit and lucky, and that I sounded like a rag. Nearly came to blows over it. But that's the scouse mindset, they hear what they want so as be as offended as possible.

Mister Appointment said:
ManCityX said:

Spot on mate. Totally agree.

I'd also say the same about Sterling. People comparing him to SWP are off the rockers. I loved SWP but Sterling is a class above him as a footballer.

Personally I think City's business next summer should be built around signing both these lads.

Total fucking bollocks. SWP was hot shit in his first spell at City. He pissed all over Sterling.

The Everton fan is right on Barkley aswell, I went to school with a lad who played with him through every age group in Everton's academy, playing for Everton is his dream. Would any of you on here fuck off to Chelsea if you were a player of comparable talent to Ross Barkley and City were in Everton's position ? Perhaps 4 or 5 years down the line if Everton are consistently underachieving he will leave to make the most of his talent, but not at 22, not unless ridiculous money is thrown at his club and they decide to sell up.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.