Ross Barkley

Bruun said:
.A. said:
Since when have people become so protective over Mansour's inherited wealth?

There weren't many dissenters when we were paying about twice Fernandinho's real value or the Mangala/Fernando shambles.

Because people are thinking about FFP and they are looking towards BIG signings like Bale/Pogba etc, and are afraid it won't happen if we sign "medium" players for big bucks.

Most bluemooners were saying we shouldn't sign Bale back in 2011 and even 2012. Similar comments that were being made about Barkley now.

ManCityX said:
Bruun said:
.A. said:
Since when have people become so protective over Mansour's inherited wealth?

There weren't many dissenters when we were paying about twice Fernandinho's real value or the Mangala/Fernando shambles.

Because people are thinking about FFP and they are looking towards BIG signings like Bale/Pogba etc, and are afraid it won't happen if we sign "medium" players for big bucks.

Most bluemooners were saying we shouldn't sign Bale back in 2011 and even 2012. Similar comments that were being made about Barkley now.

Gareth Bale won PFA Player of the Year in 2011 aged 21. Barkley is not a guaranteed starter for Everton aged 21. There is light years between them in every department - so if people said no to Bale in 11/12, they were just silly. If they say no to Barkley now, there's some logic and reason to it.

LoveCity said:
ManCityX said:
Bruun said:

Gareth Bale won PFA Player of the Year in 2011 aged 21. Barkley is not a guaranteed starter for Everton aged 21. There is light years between them in every department - so if people said no to Bale in 11/12, they were just silly. If they say no to Barkley now, there's some logic and reason to it.

I'm confident he'll go on to be a very good player. It's clear we wouldn't be buying someone ready made but he has an ability which could potentially flourish playing with better players.

He'll end up superior to most members of our current squad. Milner, Navas, Fernando, Fernandinho, Jovetic, Dzeko - I could go on all day. The combined cost of these players far out weighs their quality.

Anyway comments like yours were made about a young Super Frank:

[video]http://youtu.be/eAjd_jTvURc[/video]

I hate the "people said we shouldn't get x or y a few years ago, and now look how good they are" arguament. It completely ignores all the other players who everyone thought we shouldn't sign, who would have been awful signings. The Craig Noone's, Christian Benteke's, Michu's and all the others. It's a nonsense arguament.

BigOscar said:
I hate the "people said we shouldn't get x or y a few years ago, and now look how good they are" arguament. It completely ignores all the other players who everyone thought we shouldn't sign, who would have been awful signings. The Craig Noone's, Christian Benteke's, Michu's and all the others. It's a nonsense arguament.

It's not as bizarre as those insisting we shouldn't sign him despite the fact that weve bought some absolute dross over the last three years. As though Barkley would be a step down or side step from what we have in our squad.

Players like Milner, Navas, Jovetic, Dzeko, Fernando but the thought of Barkley....oh no! I'd rather a £30 million buy of Barkley over Fernandinho that's for sure.

ManCityX said:
BigOscar said:

It's not as bizarre as those insisting we shouldn't sign him despite the fact that weve bought some absolute dross over the last three years. As though Barkley would be a step down or side step from what we have in our squad.

Players like Milner, Navas, Jovetic, Dzeko, Fernando but the thought of Barkley....oh no! I'd rather a £30 million buy of Barkley over Fernandinho that's for sure.
Again, how is it a sensible arguament to say "we've bought dross in the past, so we shouldn't really worry about how good the people we are signing are"? That makes no sense. If we've spent badly, then we need to be more circumspect, not less. I'd far rather have Fernandinho than Barkley, he's undeniably a better player.

BigOscar said:
ManCityX said:
BigOscar said:

Again, how is it a sensible arguament to say "we've bought dross in the past, so we shouldn't really worry about how good the people we are signing are"? That makes no sense. If we've spent badly, then we need to be more circumspect, not less.

You don't get it at all. We all want Pogba, Bale and Messi but when you can't get those players that's when you need the alternatives. Barkley is an alternative that could potentially become a much better player than what we have been bringing in. If you don't think so then name the young player we could bring in and could potentially be top class.

ManCityX said:
BigOscar said:
ManCityX said:

Again, how is it a sensible arguament to say "we've bought dross in the past, so we shouldn't really worry about how good the people we are signing are"? That makes no sense. If we've spent badly, then we need to be more circumspect, not less.

You don't get it at all. We all want Pogba, Bale and Messi but when you can't get those players that's when you need the alternatives. Barkley is an alternative that could potentially become a much better player than what we have been bringing in. If you don't think so then name the young player we could bring in and could potentially be top class.

Koke, Kondogbia, Schniderlin, Sterling, Depay, De Bruyne just to name a few

ManCityX said:
BigOscar said:
ManCityX said:

If you are going to "gamble" on a player that isn't top class, then they shouldn't cost the same as the people who are. That's the problem with Barkley. If he was some £10-15m player, you could argue that he's got potential and he's worth a gamble, but the reality is that he would cost the same as someone who is actually great, instead of someone who is little more than a punt. Lopes shows just as much, if not more potential than Barkley as an attacking midfielder and we already have him, free of charge. If we think he's a central midfielder, then there are plenty of better ones who would cost the same or less, like Pjanic, Gundogan, Kondogbia, Schneiderlein and plenty of others.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.