Ross Barkley

Could this be back on?

A) I don't think so.

B) Honest question, I'm not trying to be a dick: did I miss a series of matches for club or country where Ross demonstrated he's a proper central midfielder? I've only ever seen him play as an attacking midfielder, where our "new" Yaya plays, with precious little holding or defensive responsibility. If we signed him he'd be competing with Yaya, Silva, Nasri, and (don't jinx it) KdB & Sterling if we signed them, to the best of my knowledge.

A) I don't think so.

B) Honest question, I'm not trying to be a dick: did I miss a series of matches for club or country where Ross demonstrated he's a proper central midfielder? I've only ever seen him play as an attacking midfielder, where our "new" Yaya plays, with precious little holding or defensive responsibility. If we signed him he'd be competing with Yaya, Silva, Nasri, and (don't jinx it) KdB & Sterling if we signed them, to the best of my knowledge.

Barkley's best performance of his career to date came as a deeper midfielder against QPR; his skillset is maximised in there.

As a 10, he runs up blind alleys, and lacks the Silva-esque intricacy to make a real difference. If he stays there all of his career he will be nothing more than decent, but if he takes a step back permanently he can be one of the best in Europe in his position.

Pogba is more of a Zidane, a flair player; if we are looking for a long-term like-for like replacement for Yaya, then Barkley is the best suited for the job. His passing is similarly crisp, and when he opens his legs up in possession and drives into space the two are identical. There is a very special player in there, but it will require a career-defining position change like Pirlo did for him to fulfil his potential.

A couple of seasons working alongside Toure would bring him on leaps and bounds.

Just imagine how good our central midfield could be in 3 years with him and Pogba if they live up to there potential.

Barkley's best performance of his career to date came as a deeper midfielder against QPR; his skillset is maximised in there.

As a 10, he runs up blind alleys, and lacks the Silva-esque intricacy to make a real difference. If he stays there all of his career he will be nothing more than decent, but if he takes a step back permanently he can be one of the best in Europe in his position.

Pogba is more of a Zidane, a flair player; if we are looking for a long-term like-for like replacement for Yaya, then Barkley is the best suited for the job. His passing is similarly crisp, and when he opens his legs up in possession and drives into space the two are identical. There is a very special player in there, but it will require a career-defining position change like Pirlo did for him to fulfil his potential.

A couple of seasons working alongside Toure would bring him on leaps and bounds.

Fair answer. I've never seen Ross play there -- never seen him boss the center of the pitch -- but I'll keep an open mind and eyes peeled. Without that shift backwards in the lineup, though (which may very well make him brilliant), I'm not in a huge hurry to sign him at great expense to have him compete with our current and future attacking midfielders.

I like him. If we miss out on Pogba I'd be happy if we got him. A step down from the top target but most others will be as well.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.