Ross Barkley

He's nowhere near our starting XI quality yet, as a number 10 his passing just isn't anywhere near where it needs to be to play in a team like ours, ahead of people like Nasri, Yaya or Silva. He didn't assist a single goal last year in about 35 games, in a pretty free scoring Everton side. As far as I'm concerned, he's exactly where he needs to be for the time being and he has a lot of improving to do. He's showing glimpses every now and again of real class, not performing at the highest level consistently

BillyShears said:
dref619 said:
BillyShears said:
I agree ... for me we should be doing everything within our power to ensure when Barkley moves he comes to City. We seem to have pretty good relations with Everton though, and I suspect Txiki knows Martinez well enough to at least have a strong inside track on what Everton want and what the player wants.

I still think it's super weird that he's going to the world cup having not signed a new contract and still being paid 15k a week.

i'd give him another year there personally , games week in week out. The way he shifts with the ball makes him stand out from every english player that has come through in the last 10/15 years. has got absolutely everything in his locker.

Personally I think he's ready to play in our team. Totally understand why people are unsure at the prices being quoted, however for me it's mouth watering what a manager like Pellegrini could do with a player like Barkley. He made Isco the player that he was when he left Malaga.

It also concerns me greatly that both Chelsea and United could move for him this summer rationalising that our FFP restrictions put him out of our league for the moment. As I say though I retain some hope that Txiki and Martinez could be in cahoots to move him to City. Especially if City are eyeing up Martinez for after Pellegrini sees out his contract.

Haven't been on the forum very much recently apologies, but is it common consensus that Manuel is staying till the end of his contract then is off, possibly to be closer to his family I presume?

Also, how long is left on Barkley's current contract?

BigOscar said:
He's nowhere near our starting XI quality yet, as a number 10 his passing just isn't anywhere near where it needs to be to play in a team like ours, ahead of people like Nasri, Yaya or Silva. He didn't assist a single goal last year in about 35 games, in a pretty free scoring Everton side. As far as I'm concerned, he's exactly where he needs to be for the time being and he has a lot of improving to do. He's showing glimpses every now and again of real class, not performing at the highest level consistently

Spot on

I try to understand all this hype, he is a good prospect for sure but its not about running and shooting 20 times per game is he a 10 a CM ... ? i don't know

Zin 'messiah' Zimmer said:
dctid said:
SuperMario's Fireworks. said:
I would, but he's not ready for our first team yet, needs a year on loan.

Disagree buy him and play him we have enough quality within the team and if we dont win anything next season but finish top 3 then i would not be too unhappy

To be honest i though and still to a little extent that he will struggle in our first team BUT let him play a decent amount of games and i can see him progressing quickly, but i just dont see the point of spending 50M + on a player and then punt him out on loan - sell Yaya use the money for this lad if we dont Chelski or the Rags will at some point in the next 12 months

The benefits of landing a player like are only positive

I thought you were Muslim?? I must be mistaken because you were obviously pissed when you wrote that!!! (:

What specifically do you not agree with

dctid said:
Zin 'messiah' Zimmer said:
dctid said:
Disagree buy him and play him we have enough quality within the team and if we dont win anything next season but finish top 3 then i would not be too unhappy

To be honest i though and still to a little extent that he will struggle in our first team BUT let him play a decent amount of games and i can see him progressing quickly, but i just dont see the point of spending 50M + on a player and then punt him out on loan - sell Yaya use the money for this lad if we dont Chelski or the Rags will at some point in the next 12 months

The benefits of landing a player like are only positive

I thought you were Muslim?? I must be mistaken because you were obviously pissed when you wrote that!!! (:

What specifically do you not agree with

It has nothing to do with your argument, it's the way it's been constructed to the page (: though I disagree on finishing 3rd, it would be a disaster, we've a second chance to build on a title winning season, the people at the helm won't be making the same mistake, undoubtedly thinking barkely can replicate or come near to yaya at this stage is a mistake..... Barkely is a good prospect, however, he's a driving midfielder, doesn't dictate play and I'm still to see an above average short game, something that is a prerequisite in our side!!!!

he's never going to be cheaper than he is right now, we are never going to be able to offer Barry and rodwell in a deal again so we must act NOW.

this kid is going to smash it in the world cup and then all hell will break loose.
if we don't act now it will cost us like 50m in the future at best, at worst we'll have to face the fucker lining up elsewhere.
even if we buy him and loan him back a year lets get it done.

de niro said:
he's never going to be cheaper than he is right now, we are never going to be able to offer Barry and rodwell in a deal again so we must act NOW.

this kid is going to smash it in the world cup and then all hell will break loose.
if we don't act now it will cost us like 50m in the future at best, at worst we'll have to face the fucker lining up elsewhere.
even if we buy him and loan him back a year lets get it done.

Doesn't it worry you how many incredible English prospects have risen up then faded, though? People laugh at Jermaine Jenas now, but I remember when he was young and hot shit, and it wasn't for no reason. I love Barkley, and I think he'll come good, but he's a bet. That's it. A really good bet.

Knowing the value of English players in this country, Everton could easily ask 40m just for his potential at the moment and to be honest I don't see that figure changing much if at all if he does develop into a top star.

He is not at our level yet though because he lacks consistency, I also think he will take one look at our record with English players and say no chance.

I completely understand the caution expressed over Barkley. His biggest sin is being English. By being English he has to deal with the huge hype and media attention despite his age and inexperience. He also then has to deal with the pressure that comes with it. What is positive is that people expect him to make mistakes but I fully believe that he will emerge as a huge name from this World Cup. I think England will do well and I think Rooney has a direct replacement that can really expose space late on against tired legs.

The reason I think we should go for him is his football brain. That isn't something that can be taught. At least not easily. He knows what he is going to do before he has received the ball and his technique, strength and pace mean that when he has turned he is away and looking up for options. He is guilty of giving the ball away from time to time, although his pass completion percentage was 90% I believe, in the game against Ecuador. Martinez has pushed him forward so he can make those errors without them leading to conceding goals. Eventually he will be an attacking midfielder of the Gerrard mould, but with the potential to be better because he can draw in players and beat them in a single turn.

It is a risk. And it might not work out. But now is the time to go for him if we want him, even if we allow Everton to nurture him for one more year - Martinez is of a similar mindset to Pellegrini in terms of footballing philosophy.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.