Ross Barkley

Rob Shephard in The Mail: and here's why Barkley should snub City

For the good of the England team is to be hoped Ross Barkley ignores the word that Manchester City want to sign him.

If the whispers that City are prepared to pay big money and mega wages to lure the 20-year-old midfielder from Everton prove true, it could be hard for Barkley and even his club to resist.

But while such a move would make him masses of money, what would his career end up being like?

As it stands Barkley is on the threshold of become a top, top player, perhaps even a great one.

Even if he was promoted to early for England this summer he showed flashes of what he might do

But he needs to develop and that only comes with, well, games.

At Everton he will start every big match. If he stays at the club for at least another two years then by the 2016 European Championship, at the age of 22, he could emerge as an international star. And remember Paul Gascoigne , a player who in some ways Barkley resembles, was 23 when made such an impact at Italia 90.

But if he was to move to City he could get swallowed up by their squad and ruined by team rotation.

Take Jack Rodwell, Joleon Lescott and Adam Johnson. Had all three continued on their previous career paths rather than chased City’s cash then could have been integral parts of England’s World Cup campaign and the team may well have been a lot stronger for their presence.

James Milner did make, but his sporadic appearances with City have affected him as an England player.

Understandably there is a time when a player feels he should cash in and move to a one of the big clubs that promise Champions League football.
Don't chase the cash: Ross Barkley may be tempted by a big move but he should remember how transfers to Manchester City went for Jack Rodwell (below left) and Adam Johnson (below right)

Don't chase the cash: Ross Barkley may be tempted by a big move but he should remember how transfers to Manchester City went for Jack Rodwell (below left) and Adam Johnson (below right)
Disappeared from view: Jack Rodwell has barely featured for Manchester City
Arrested development: Adam Johnson's career went backwards at City

Yes, Rooney made the leap at a young age and thrived. But he was an exception although some will say that now, at 28 when he should be at his peak, the mental and physical pressure he has been under since that move have taken their toll.

Besides, Barkley is already very well rewarded given how much more money clubs such as Everton can now pay, compared with when Rooney broke through .

His career not cash should be Barkley’s priority at the moment if he wants to mature into the world-class player he can be.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...-United-Football-Grapevine.html#ixzz37xeQZr5R
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

What absolute tripe.

sam-caddick said:

For the good of the England team is to be hoped Ross Barkley ignores the word that Manchester City want to sign him.

If the whispers that City are prepared to pay big money and mega wages to lure the 20-year-old midfielder from Everton prove true, it could be hard for Barkley and even his club to resist.

But while such a move would make him masses of money, what would his career end up being like?

As it stands Barkley is on the threshold of become a top, top player, perhaps even a great one.

Even if he was promoted to early for England this summer he showed flashes of what he might do

At Everton he will start every big match. If he stays at the club for at least another two years then by the 2016 European Championship, at the age of 22, he could emerge as an international star. And remember Paul Gascoigne , a player who in some ways Barkley resembles, was 23 when made such an impact at Italia 90.

But if he was to move to City he could get swallowed up by their squad and ruined by team rotation.

Take Jack Rodwell, Joleon Lescott and Adam Johnson. Had all three continued on their previous career paths rather than chased City’s cash then could have been integral parts of England’s World Cup campaign and the team may well have been a lot stronger for their presence.

James Milner did make, but his sporadic appearances with City have affected him as an England player.

Understandably there is a time when a player feels he should cash in and move to a one of the big clubs that promise Champions League football.

Yes, Rooney made the leap at a young age and thrived. But he was an exception although some will say that now, at 28 when he should be at his peak, the mental and physical pressure he has been under since that move have taken their toll.

Besides, Barkley is already very well rewarded given how much more money clubs such as Everton can now pay, compared with when Rooney broke through .

His career not cash should be Barkley’s priority at the moment if he wants to mature into the world-class player he can be.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...-United-Football-Grapevine.html#ixzz37xeQZr5R
Love how the **** conveniently mentions those three, knowing full well none of them half even half the talent Barkley has. Of course his best option is to sign for the rags so they can show how he came through their academy etc.

Shirley said:

What absolute tripe.

Ha, I'm not sure how playing in the Championship for Middlesbrough to winning the FA Cup and Premier League with City can be classed as going backwards.

I'm so tired of those lazy articles. Our treatment of English players has been pretty much consistent with their talent. Decent players like Hart, Barry, Lescott and Milner have played many games. Johnson was used the only way he's effective - as an impact sub. I've NEVER seen Adam Johnson have a good 90 minute performance and other than that brief purple patch last season, he's been pretty average for Sunderland. Rodwell has been ruined by injuries not City, something that is constantly overlooked by these so-called journalists. Of all our English players I think only maybe Milner should have played a few more.

It really is tiresome. Yet you never see a variation of these articles for a certain other club with names like Wilfried Zaha and Nick Powell mentioned - two young talents bought at a combined cost of around £21m and sent into the loan system.

I'm not sure how good Barkley will turn out but I am 100% sure that if we spent a fortune on him, he'd play very regularly. We don't do vanity buys anymore, every purchase is for a reason.

sam-caddick said:

What ever happened to footballers having guts and drive and determination and ego and FIGHTING for their place. Believing that they are the best player on the planet and refusing to be held back. Knowing that it's only a matter of time before they FORCE their way into the manager's plans. If that type of player still exists and if Barkley is that type of player, then why shouldn't he come to City and prove he is the best? Has the author stopped to consider this? You can't anoint the guy England's next great hope and then baby him into a coma with regular first team football for only clubs that will guarantee him a starting spot no matter what. Ick.

That article is the very reason we need to sign Barkley. It's time this stupid fucking myth that City ruin English players is put to bed. Lescott played every game for us in the beginning before the club grew past his abilities. Milner and Barry got loads of game time and can't use Rodwell because we can't fucking play him if he's injured and Johnson got game time in the beginning but he believed his own hype and chose going out on the piss in Manchester over improving as a player and he isn't pulling up any trees at Sunderland is he?

That article is exactly why England were on the first plane home at the world cup. Everyone just expecting us to give English players a free ride and pick them regardless of how good they are. If you're good enough you work hard and get picked if you aren't good enough you rot in the reserves. End of.

Do people consider Adam Johnson a failure? I loved him when he was here and thought he got plenty of games, except maybe there at the end. Even then he was scoring more coming off the bench.

Lescott was great for us and eventually lost his place but was still starting nearly game under Mancini.... I'm confused. He could have also left in January but wanted to stay and fight for trophies, costing him his England place. He knew this.

Rodwell... He has been hurt practically the whole time. I remember him playing against Real Madrid though (sub) so Mancini rated him. Don't know whats happened lately, figured he was still hurt, but I hope he sticks around because when he's played he's played well.

LoveCity said:
I'm so tired of those lazy articles. Our treatment of English players has been pretty much consistent with their talent. Decent players like Hart, Barry, Lescott and Milner have played many games. Johnson was used the only way he's effective - as an impact sub. I've NEVER seen Adam Johnson have a good 90 minute performance and other than that brief purple patch last season, he's been pretty average for Sunderland. Rodwell has been ruined by injuries not City, something that is constantly overlooked by these so-called journalists. Of all our English players I think only maybe Milner should have played a few more.

It really is tiresome. Yet you never see a variation of these articles for a certain other club with names like Wilfried Zaha and Nick Powell mentioned - two young talents bought at a combined cost of around £21m and sent into the loan system.

I'm not sure how good Barkley will turn out but I am 100% sure that if we spent a fortune on him, he'd play very regularly. We don't do vanity buys anymore, every purchase is for a reason.

I try to avoid the posts where I just quote an articulate contribution and add "well said!" but this is exactly what I would've written except in fewer words. Such a tiresome narrative out there in the media, helps to read likeminded and reasonable writers.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.