Roughest grounds you've been too and biggest scraps!

lunebleu said:
Not the roughest or the biggest scrap but perhaps the most bizarre and unexpected. Oxford United away. We lost. Coming out of the ground with the Mrs and having to walk through a line of policemen with riot shields. Don't know why because there had been no evidence of trouble but I suspect they hadn't many big city clubs there so were a little hyped-up. Anyway, got to the car park and just about to sit in it---then a tap on the shoulder. I Turned round and a bloke in a suit smacks me in face. " Tosser" was all I heard and than he was gone. I'm thinking this is fucking Oxford--'City of dreaming Spires' and all that---- what was that all about? !! -- Nose bleeding,wife crying and stuck in a clogged up car park. Surreal. Never thought about reporting it the police,as a Harpurhey lad you tend to take these things in your stride. We got away from the ground about 6-00pm with the wife moaning about the blood on the upholstery. Happy days.
Oxford had good relations with Chelsea and following the Friday night home game shenanigans with Chelsea in the 80's, they used to turn up a couple of times a season at our away games, personally never saw any mither with them

kippax81 said:
Pigeonho said:
BringBackSwales said:
Oldham away just about every year - not particularly rough but always complete and utter bedlam - I remember 1 year when there were Blues literally everywhere in the ground except a small tier 2 seated area down 1 of the sides; next thing a big fuck off ladder appears from somewhere and a load of Blues went up it and took over the seats, funny as heck

-- Mon May 20, 2013 1:23 pm --

another bad one was Everton away in 1981 fa cup (quarter final?) 2-2 draw, Paul Power equalised late on. About 14k City fans there but utter bedlam afterwards, Everton fans were really up for it, genuinely scarey where I was
Was that Oldham one around 97/98 ish? I was at an Oldham away game and remember it being full of Blues, with silly rumours that Hibs were coming down for a fight and they were helping Oldham. Blues were indeed everywhere that day, and I recall it being a midday kick off too..

Oldham was deffo in the 80's......Derek Parlane was up front for us that day. The ladder going up was probably the most surreal thing I have ever seen at a match.

Everton away in the cup in 81 was fucking carnage.

Anyone go to Stamford Bridge when away fans were banned? Think it was to do with trouble the previous season when they had playoffs for relegation (maybe v Boro)? It was a midweek game.Me and my mate sat in the stand opposite the main stand,concrete bench seating,surrounded by cockney knobheads,fucking shitting ourselves.Happy days...........not hahaha
I was one of the lads who found the ladder at Oldham, just propped flat against the front wall of the stand, Mikey Williams the old city tout was sat in the opposite stand taking pictures that day, just wondered has anyone ever seen them

Surprised more haven't mentioned Stoke 97/98 when we brought them down with us.... We went on a Swan Taxi Minibus.... Bad move with 0161 tattoo'd up the side... It was carnage all over that day. Barnsley away trouble with SYP at half time in concourse was brutal too. They (believe it or not) were bang out of order that day hitting women and kids too... Although, their batons were no match for the ceramics that were obtained from toilets to use in self defence!!

Sky Blue said:
Hung said:
That said, the worst day I can remember was Luton away the last game of the season in 1975. First away game, I was 14 and went with mates on a football special. I recall it being fucking mental all day. I can recall it was a sunny day and there was a 'rampage' from the stadium back to the station. It probably just seemed bad because I was only a kid at the time, but it was non stop all day.

I was on the special that day! Like you said a red hot day and the Luton fans invaded the pitch but decided to turn back when they got to the half way line!....All the Luton fans were on a bridge just before the station waiting for us. They had a right firm!....Deb that well know City girl was on the train. A right fighter she was!
Yep, that was a day of mayhem. Deb used come to the game with us, as game as any lad. R.I.P. Debbie.

strongbowholic said:
Churchill123 said:
strongbowholic said:
7 pages in and at last someone mentions this fucking shit hole of a place. You get the train and your farmed off to Seven Sisters and have to do the fucking Long March where you get it from all sides up Tottenham High Road or whatever the fuck it is called.

Alternatively you get the coach and they land you on a bit of an industrial estate which leads you straight onto what Broadwater Farm or some other such fucking shit hole. You then wind up outside the Spurs end - nice.

Nothing but fucking chaos every time I've been to Spurs. Hate it with a passion.

Stoke is awful too. Remember going to the Boxing Day fancy dress. Horrendous!

And of course, the swamp.

I remember speaking with a couple of lads at west ham this season (really nice chaps) and was asking them if west ham are as mad as there reputation and they basically said 80's etc yes but nowdays not so much... but they did say if you went to an away day wanting trouble 99 times out of 100 you could find that trouble.. but if you just wanted to have a few pints enjoy the game and not have any bother then nowdays you'd be perfectly safe too

With it being far more lively in the 80's and people kicking off far more than nowdays, did kids go to games like they do nowdays, or was it too dangerous?
Very much more family oriented now. Don't recall seeing too many nippers at the games I've mentioned. Then again, you look at grounds/facilities now and it's like visiting The Dorchester by comparison. The atmosphere has suffered as a result, but certainly a change for the better.

For me this is the real issue... How do you get a mix of great atmosphere without people being too intimidated to bring there children.. Obviously at city we have the family stand but i agree the atmosphere is lacking now days<br /><br />-- Tue May 21, 2013 8:58 am --<br /><br />
lunebleu said:
Not the roughest or the biggest scrap but perhaps the most bizarre and unexpected. Oxford United away. We lost. Coming out of the ground with the Mrs and having to walk through a line of policemen with riot shields. Don't know why because there had been no evidence of trouble but I suspect they hadn't many big city clubs there so were a little hyped-up. Anyway, got to the car park and just about to sit in it---then a tap on the shoulder. I Turned round and a bloke in a suit smacks me in face. " Tosser" was all I heard and than he was gone. I'm thinking this is fucking Oxford--'City of dreaming Spires' and all that---- what was that all about? !! -- Nose bleeding,wife crying and stuck in a clogged up car park. Surreal. Never thought about reporting it the police,as a Harpurhey lad you tend to take these things in your stride. We got away from the ground about 6-00pm with the wife moaning about the blood on the upholstery. Happy days.

Typical that mate!

Is it cruel i'm laughing my head off here mate... What a random story

Always find these threads a good read.

As someone born in the late 80's, who's been going regularly away since 2005 I can safely say it's nothing like the old days!

A few times I remember feeling intimidated: back in Poznan after the away game was a bit on top. They all looked like uncle Fester and had the look of "we hate England" written all over their faces.

Also, after the 6-1 at Old Trafford (do you remember that?) walking back to town from their was grim. I was with about 25 City fans and you were getting reds running across the road at us all the way home. Police everywhere. Helicopters circling above. Glass being smashed. I remember a united fan having a police dog bite him and he carried on walking with the dog on his hand! No one I was with got touched anyway, and we had a laugh at the knobs.

liamctid said:
Always find these threads a good read.

As someone born in the late 80's, who's been going regularly away since 2005 I can safely say it's nothing like the old days!

A few times I remember feeling intimidated: back in Poznan after the away game was a bit on top. They all looked like uncle Fester and had the look of "we hate England" written all over their faces.

Also, after the 6-1 at Old Trafford (do you remember that?) walking back to town from their was grim. I was with about 25 City fans and you were getting reds running across the road at us all the way home. Police everywhere. Helicopters circling above. Glass being smashed. I remember a united fan having a police dog bite him and he carried on walking with the dog on his hand! No one I was with got touched anyway, and we had a laugh at the knobs.

No mate, go on remind me :P

happychappy said:
kippax81 said:
Pigeonho said:
Was that Oldham one around 97/98 ish? I was at an Oldham away game and remember it being full of Blues, with silly rumours that Hibs were coming down for a fight and they were helping Oldham. Blues were indeed everywhere that day, and I recall it being a midday kick off too..

Oldham was deffo in the 80's......Derek Parlane was up front for us that day. The ladder going up was probably the most surreal thing I have ever seen at a match.

Everton away in the cup in 81 was fucking carnage.

Anyone go to Stamford Bridge when away fans were banned? Think it was to do with trouble the previous season when they had playoffs for relegation (maybe v Boro)? It was a midweek game.Me and my mate sat in the stand opposite the main stand,concrete bench seating,surrounded by cockney knobheads,fucking shitting ourselves.Happy days...........not hahaha
I was one of the lads who found the ladder at Oldham, just propped flat against the front wall of the stand, Mikey Williams the old city tout was sat in the opposite stand taking pictures that day, just wondered has anyone ever seen them

I bet there's some class pictures of that.

happychappy said:
lunebleu said:
Oxford had good relations with Chelsea and following the Friday night home game shenanigans with Chelsea in the 80's, they used to turn up a couple of times a season at our away games, personally never saw any mither with them

yep I can remember 2 occasions coming back into London from Crystal Palace and Chelsea were at home and big mobs of very handy lads waiting for us - not a warm and cuddly greeting that's for sure

coming out of the scoreboard end at the swamp in the mid-70's after a night game (can't remember which) and the scoreboard paddock rags were stood in a semi-circle immediately around the exit cracking those that tried to pass through

blues were being pulled in to the tier above so thay could avoid the crush/ aggro

otherwise you literally had to steam through as a mob swinging punches to break the line to get out of the ground

any from either side that fell/ got dragged over got a kicking

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.